Chapter 20- "How perverted can you be!?"

Mulai dari awal

We don't bother knocking on the door since we know there's no one but the guys at home. Emmett's parents are away, visiting his elder brother Max at Georgetown. Max is twenty and on the verge of finishing college. He's training to be a chef. When we last spoke about Max, he was doing really well.

I walk into an almost deserted house. For a split second, weird and paranoid thoughts flit through my mind. I almost consider the possibility of the house being robbed and the guys being kidnapped, before I hear a muffled giggle. I switch on the lights and the guys are sprawled over the sofa, ready to pounce on us. Too bad for them, we already figured it out.

I stick my tongue out at Evan and scan the room for Nathan. He's sitting on the tabletop, across the couch. He's wearing that oversized jersey once more, and only the fact that Evan and Emmett are watching me check out my boyfriend with smirks, stops me from drooling.

Composing myself, I mock slap them on their faces before I go over to Nate. He doesn't quite look up to meet my eyes. I don't know if he's mad, guilty, or a little bit of both.

When I look over my shoulder for help on how to approach him, I find an empty hallway. The girls have already left me alone. I swear, the only time these idiots will give me privacy is when I don't want it. Not wanting to waste any time, I clear my throat.

Nathan looks up, his chocolate brown eyes piercing through my façade of being alright. I know he has already figured out that all's not well even before I can speak.

"Hi", he says awkwardly.

Not having any other way to reply, I say Hello in response.

Nathan nods his head and starts fiddling with his fingers once more. I straighten the strap on my watch and clear my throat once again.

"Nate, we need to talk." I say.

"I kind of figured that because I doubt you like me enough to keep on staring at my crop of black, glossy hair." He replies, his tone a little teasing.

"So, um, I guess all I have to say is that I'm really, really sorry for acting the way I have for the past two days. I had no right to shut you out completely, especially since whatever happened wasn't in the least your fault." I choke out.

He gives me a watery smile. "It's not like I tried to talk to you either. I think that I would have reacted in pretty much the same way had my Dad done something of that sort to me."

"Nah. I think you're just saying that to make me feel better." I reply.

"Scar, I doubt I like you enough to lie about what I believe." He replies with an impish grin on his face.

The sight of his soft lips and shiny white teeth makes my heart melt. A sudden feeling of warmth spreads through my body. With great difficulty, I resist the urge to shove my tongue down his throat.

"So, you really think that I didn't overreact?" I ask, just to confirm what I just heard.

"Well, you may have overreacted. I am no one to judge that. But what I can say to you is that I didn't really mind. I mean, I obviously felt bad that you shut me out for two days, but I don't think I can be mad at you for it. What you did wasn't right. But what you felt was. Scar, while doing this, your heart was in the right place. Sure, I felt bad but someone has to be mature, right?" he finishes, winking at me.

"What I'm gathering from that is that you're not mad at me..." I say.

"Damn right, I'm not. I could never be Scarlett Woods. I like you too much to be mad at you." He says, his dimpled smile lighting up his whole face.