Chapter - 9

Exwood port (West coast of Asnad)

Asnad is a small island nation. For many of its supplies, it depends heavily upon the shipments that arrive through ports. The Exwood port is the busiest port in Asnad and even in the world, it ranks among the top five. Handling such a large volume of goods comes with its disadvantages.

Shipments would be a source of the smuggled goods inside the country. And such is the case for demons.

"Let us go in!" Someone shouted from the small crowd that had formed at the security check. Officials from different companies expecting their shipments were met with a stop sign.

"Yeah, it's been three hours since our goods have arrived, and yet for some reason, they're just stuck here."

"Don't you get it? If these thing don't make it on time, I say goodbye to my damn job."

"This isn't my fault. Officers from Defense department are investigating, and the port isn't open to the public at the moment," the guard said.

"Huh? The DoD? Why are they here?"

"Don't know, don't care. The Viazo were here earlier, and now these guys. You have an issue, I'll give you the damn number, complain all you want." The guard denied entry.

"Ah! This sucks."

While this argument was going on right outside the port's entry, the team sent from the DoD was inside with a forensic team taking samples from the site.

"Did you find anything, Martin?" Jennifer came out of a shipping container.

"Bits and pieces of the shell here and there. The explosion was huge as Viazo said. It would not be easy to collect that evidence."

Jennifer tossed a small box of crockery, "Lame. We have forensic experts for that," Jennifer said, "You do your stuff."

"Yes," Martin took out a small device from his pocket and began scanning around the active region. 'I feel so cool right now, I'll tell mom when I get home.'

"What about the staff here?" Jennifer asked.

"I sent an officer to take the records and any information regarding them."

"The demon came from one of the containers, right?"

"Yes, it did. The needle's moving up, we have something, yay," Martin who hadn't conducted many investigations in his career, was having a hard time supressing his grin.

"Have you found the trace?"

"Yup, there it is. And it doesn't belong to the demon. There was a mage that carried this out!" He whipped around and looked as if he had solved the greatest mystery of his life.

Jennifer couldn't help but sigh in embarrassment, "Of course there was, idiot. Demons do not spawn in shipping containers."

Whenever a mage uses Kai in battle, some of the energy produced can get scattered as a result of that battle. This is called the 'trace' of a sorcerer.

Trace is a piece of evidence that can be useful in investigating crimes regarding Kai. Every mage has its unique trace and no two traces are the same.

The trace of demons and humans are on different bandwidths and thus it is possible to differentiate the two from each other. The presence of a human trace here can be significant to the investigation.

"I have recorded the evidence," Martin stood up from his crouched position.

"I've checked the container, it belonged to a grocery company. FlowKart," Jennifer mentioned.