𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓽𝔂 𝓞𝓷𝓮

James sat at the Gryffindor table, surrounded by people, but completely silent. This was not like him in anyway. He always had something to say, some stunt to pull for attention, or some joke to crack. 

But right now, he felt dirty. He did not feel like himself. 

He didn't think to factor in Estelle, one of his best friends, when he had made his plans. He knew Marlene and Lily were planning for Estelles birthday, but he did not think of what Estelle would be doing during that time. Tonight was the the full moon... an extremely important night for himself and the boys. An extremely important night for Remus...

But he should have thought of Estelle. 

He had hardly touched his food when the headmaster sent them off, and only snapped back into reality when Peter grabbed his arm. He looked at his friend, who was staring at him nervously. 

"You okay James?" Peter asked, letting go of his arm.

James shrugged, tightening his lips. "I feel like such a prat." He admitted, scanning the crowd. 

"I am sure Stella is alright." Peter said, shifting uncomfortably. He knew how badly it felt to be left out, but they had something very important to do.

"I will talk to her tomorrow." James muttered, his plan once again filling his head.

His eyes landed on Sirius, who was standing by the door to the corridor, so they waved goodbye to the girls and pushed through the crowd to him. 

"You two ready?" Sirius asked, a glint of mischief in his eyes. 

James smirked, nodding his head. Peter let out a squeak of what could have been fear or excitement. The three boys followed the group of students, but veered off before heading up the main stairs. 

Down a very dark corridor was a tapestry, with an image of the lake on it. The three boys slipped one after the other behind it. Light filled the long narrow passageway as Sirius lit his wand. 

"Okay, so Peter had Lily teach him a longer lasting warming charm?" He asked, although it wasn't really a question but rather a confirmation.

"Yes...I blamed it on a chill I had been faking for a week or so." Peter said, quivering as the cool air passed through the passageway. He preformed a spell, directing it towards Sirius. A shower of warmth fell over him, as if he was nestled beside a fireplace. Peter repeated the spell on James, and James reciprocated it easily.

They all followed the light from Sirius' wand, as they descended down the passageway. It kept going down farther and farther, until the distant sounds of splashing were audible enough to cover their footsteps. 

The passageway began to get smaller, forcing the boys to crouch lower and lower, until they were on their hands and knees. Sirius' wand was held firmly between his teeth, as they halted at a small door. 

He looked back at his friends, and James nodded his head in encouragement. None of them had dared to say a word. Sirius turned out the light of his wand and slowly pushed the door open crawling through it, James and Peter close behind. 

They didn't move for a moment, listening for any kind of movement. There wasn't any.

Sirius stood up, lighting his wand again. The light filled an open, airy boat house. The lake water splashed up against the docks, in an almost lullaby. It was eerily quiet in there, and a sense of nervousness washed over them. The boys knew no one every came in the boat house, other than Hagrid once a month. They were definitely in the clear, but they didn't dare light a lantern.