Chapter 3

Wilbur had no problem getting into Las Nevadas that day. Whether Quackity had pulled some strings, considering he was the owner of the nation, or whether it was another factor entirely, he did not know; he assumed it was the former. Quackity would do something like that- despite insisting he didn't want Wilbur to join Las Nevadas. He was taunting him ever so subtly, and Wilbur loved it.
He loved Quackity's craftiness and needed to see more of it.

He'd brought an extra pack of cigs and a spare lighter just in case Quackity hadn't bothered to bring his own, and was currently sitting outside a strip club smoking one from his own pack. He and Quackity weren't meant to meet for another few hours and he wondered how he'd kill the time. No need to wonder.
"Wilbur?" called a voice he knew so well. "Wilbur, is that you?"
Wilbur looked up to see Quackity.

"Q! Hi!" he said, not expecting to meet Quackity so early, a smile spreading across his face.
"What are you doing here? Weren't we supposed to meet in the evening?"
"Yes, I know, but I just couldn't resist having a wander around Las Nevadas. What you've done here is wonderful, truly," he said, pressing another cig to his lips and smiling up at him.
"Soot, stop with the pandering, you're not getting into Las Nevadas," Quackity said, unfazed, crossing his arms.
"I know! Can a man not appreciate good architecture without being accused of pandering?" Wilbur asked jokingly, dramatically putting a hand to his heart.

"Very funny, Soot."
"C'mon, Q, can't you call me by my first name? Have I really sunk so low to being called by my last name?" Wilbur said, taking a drag of his cigarette.
"Okay, Wilbur, why don't you call me Alex or Quackity, rather than just Q?"
"I do!"
"Sure you do. Anyway, why are you outside a strip club?" Quackity asked suspiciously, sitting down next to him. He really hoped that Wilbur hadn't been in there. Or did he? He hated the idea of Wilbur being in there, but somehow the thought also made him a little excited. What the hell? Quackity thought to himself. Had he really just been imagining Wilbur fucking Soot in a strip club?

"Oh, I just stopped here for a smoke break, I haven't gone inside. Yet," Wilbur told him.
"Fuck's that mean, 'yet'? Are you going to become a stripper or some shit?"
Quackity laughed at his own joke.
"Maybe. Would I look good as a stripper?" Wilbur asked, playing along with Quackity's bit.
"Ha! Not at all."
"Charming, aren't you, Quackity?"
"I try my best."
Wilbur smiled.

"Cig?"
He offered Quackity a cigarette, which he took gladly.
"Thanks."
Wilbur lit it for him and they sat in silence, smoking.
"Guess we're having our scheduled smoke break early then, huh?" Quackity murmured with a small laugh. Wilbur chuckled.
"Some of the best things in life are unscheduled, Quackity."
"Like having smoke breaks with my rival? If I can even call you that any more."
Wilbur's heart leapt.

"What?"
"Well... you know... you've become more bearable, Soot, I don't know if it's appropriate to keep calling us rivals any more," Quackity explained shortly, and Wilbur felt hope rising in his chest.
"Really? I'm... bearable?"
"Yeah? Don't take it as anything else, though- we're acquaintances, nothing more," Quackity said, taking a puff of his cig.
"Yeah, but I mean- wow. This is a huge leap forwards for u- for me," Wilbur replied, his excitement visible, and Quackity soon picked up on it.
"Don't get too excited, Soot, the only thing that's changed is that there's less of a chance I'll blow your shit up."
"Isn't that something I do?"
Quackity chuckled. "Okay, less of a chance we'll blow each other's shit up."

Wilbur smiled. "I'll take it." He took a long drag of his cigarette before asking, "So what's on your mind?"
Quackity paused and sighed. "God, I don't know. Karl. Sapnap. Slime."
"What about them?" Wilbur pried.
"I don't know, I just miss having someone to depend on, like, Slime, if I ever died, would take over Las Nevadas- that's gone down the fucking drain, hasn't it? And when I was lonely, Karl and Sapnap would be there. Now Karl hates me and can barely remember who I am and Sapnap just doesn't give a shit about me! I just need someone to depend on, and I've run out of fucking options," Quackity said frustratedly.