Through dusk, dawn, and forever

Start from the beginning

"I love you too, my love", his voice going way too soft, a kind of voice he has only saved for Harry. He settled on the couch with his kids on both sides while Harry stood there smiling at them.

"You know what happened today?" Cindy asked excitedly.

"What happened babe?" he chuckled at her, who was trying to wriggle out of his arms.

"I met a boy", she grinned when she successfully rolled out of his grip.

"You what?" he frowned. "Harry, what's this?"

"Well, ask your daughter Malik", he smirked and left for the kitchen.

"Who was it babe?" he asked Cindy, his frown deepening.

"Mikey."

"Mikey?" he frowned even more.

"His name is Michael, everybody calls him Mike and I call him Mikey", she shrugged.

"Why do you call him Mikey? Where did you meet him? How do you know him?"

"I call him Mikey because he's my friend. I met him at school this week, he's new but I didn't talk to him but we met him and his mum today in the mall and we talked to him and he's cool. So we're friends now."

"Why don't you have any girl-friends?" he groaned, slumping against the couch.

"Girls are mean baba", she said as a matter of fact and jumped off the couch. "You know that better than me", and with that, she walked out of the living room, probably to her room.

"She's just five Zayn", Harry entered just as she walked out. "They make friends all the time."

"You sure she's just five?" He asked with wide eyes. "Because to me, she sounded like fucking fifteen."

"She gets that from you", Harry laughed.

"Whatever", Zayn mumbled as he got up for the couch with a sleeping Alec in his arms. "Boys can be bad."

"Yeah, but stop generalizing love", Harry smiled, pressing a kiss to his temple. "Would you like that if anyone ever said that about our Alec?"

"What? no", he pouted, rubbing Alec's back, gently.

"Yeah, same", Harry smiled fondly. "Besides, Mike is a good kid, his mum is cool too. He doesn't talk much and Cindy just talks too much. Perfect match."

"For what?" Zayn frowned.

"For friendship babe", Harry laughed.

"You do know that's how we clicked right?" he frowned more.

"So what if they're friends now and start dating at fifteen and get married at 25? I will always support them", Harry shrugged. Half joking and half serious.

"I want to meet that kid", Zayn informed grumpily before walking off to Alec's room.

"Slow down Shakespeare", Harry's laugh echoed throughout the house making Zayn smile to himself.

After settling Alec on his bed and making him comfortable with pillows he checked up on Cindy who was busy with her princess tea party. He thanked every God that she didn't call him to be one of her courtiers.

Harry was looking out of the window near the sink when Zayn walked into the kitchen. It was unusual of him to be staring off at something and slipping off of reality.

"Babe?" he called, making Harry snap out of his trance state.

"Sorry", Harry mumbled, twisting the faucet knob off. "Didn't see you there. Where's Cindy?"