January, 1995

Despite how out of place I felt, I found a seat and listened along to their conversations. Soon enough, it was time for the first band to go on. The name didn't stand out, but their music was pretty good. There was a row of judges at the side of the stage, and it reminded me somewhat of a beauty pageant.

Daniel's band was next! It was insane how fast time moved when I was there. One minute I was in the car with Daniel and Chris and Ben, the next they were doing soundcheck on stage. I noticed through the space in the curtains, Daniel was looking back, I gave him a quick thumbs up, and he seemed more at ease (but maybe I just thought that).

"All right," I heard Daniel's voice ring out through the microphone. "this one's called tomorrow." I would finally get to hear this one! The riff played, and Daniel's voice was just amazing. He really got into it when he played. Everything about the way he let the chords ring out and how his dirty blonde hair whipped around his face was perfect and proved the best show experience.

They played a few other songs, one titled "pure massacre" which I liked the way they introduced it. "This one's called pure massacre." Daniel had said. "It's about all the bloody guts and shit that comes along with war."

I don't know how they could stand it out on the stage, I was so hot just standing on the sidelines. They were sweating though. When Daniel came back stage holding his guitar, I could see the beads of perspiration on his forehead and neck.

"You guys did amazing, really." I said to everyone, but Daniel in particular.

"Aw don't flatter us." One of the brown haired boys said, Ben or Chris I couldn't tell.

"Yeah Chris has already got a big head." the sweaty blonde in front of me joked. He went to get a drink from one of the coolers when a professional
looking man in a button down came walking towards them. "Oh shit" I heard someone mutter, along with: "whos that?"

"Hello boys." He smiled, revealing pearly white teeth. "I'm Kevin Shirley, music producer. I really like Silverchair." They all muttered their thanks and offered him a water to which he turned down. "This may seem hard to believe, but in addition to a thousand bucks, you guys have got yourself a record deal." Well this guy got straight to the point.

Daniel, Ben, and Chris jumped up and down similar to the fashion that little kids do when they get a new puppy. "Holy shit!" Daniel exclaimed.

"Fuck, what- what label is it?" Ben asked. I knew now that Ben was the drummer and Chris was the bassist, that helped to distinguish them.

"Murmur records." He flashed that same smile, and the boys muttered their words of excitement more. Once things calmed down, Kevin sat down with everyone and enjoyed some drinks around the table. I liked the fact that he didn't put himself above the band and seemed happy to casually converse with them. Daniel and I didn't talk much more, but I understood. You wouldn't want to mess things up with the guy that just gave your band a record deal.

It was in the evening when everyone dismissed and the event started to wind down. I was so unbelievably proud of Daniel and his band, even though I honestly didn't really know them. But them winning that record label meant I was on a date with a rockstar. Daniel and I walked back to their car, where that Keven guy was standing off to the side smoking a cigarette. Daniel put his gear in the back and stood next to me against the door.

"I'm really happy for you guys, you're a total rockstar now, not just some babysitter kid." I said finally. He chuckled, once again that unique laugh I liked.

"You and me both, we've been wanting this for so long. And its pretty much thanks to that guy." He said, gesturing to Kevin.

Almost on cue, Kevin ground his cigarette butt on the cement and walked over. Exhaling the last bits of smoke, he said, "Well, congratulations you guys, Daniel. And I never properly met you," He turned to me, "girlfriend?" It didn't really register what he meant for a second, but I realized he was asking if I was dating Daniel.

"Oh, no- no." I stuttered, I could tell my cheeks were red even in the dim light of the evening.

Daniel covered for me, "First date, actually."

Kevin rocked back on his heels. "Oh wow! Eventful first date, huh?" Daniel and I awkwardly laughed and looked down at the ground. But holy shit! That guy though I was Daniel's girlfriend, I'm cool enough to be a musician's girlfriend?

Before I got time to get over that high, we were pushed back into the car and driving back to my place. I thanked Ben for driving me home a lot, it really was gracious of him, cause by the sounds of it he didn't even know about me. We hit a bump and I felt something touch my hand, I looked down and it was Daniel's hand, on top of mine. I turned my head back to look straight, smiling like a dork. I didn't want to say anything or move for fear it might ruin the moment.

We didn't move the whole rest of the car ride, which mostly proved that we were both aware of our closeness. We pulled up at my house and I thanked them all again, and Daniel followed after me to the door.

"Well," He said. We stood facing each other outside of the door, and I was almost sure he was going to kiss me, but of course he didn't. "I hope you had a good time tonight."

I smiled and nodded, "Yeah, yeah. We should do this again sometime." I wanted to be polite, flirty, but not seem so desperate or direct that he would back off, and I think I achieved that. He walked back to the car as I rand the doorbell (I didn't have a key).

A small figure, also known as my brother, opened the door. "You went on a date with the babysitter?"