Scene 4- The Rec-Deck

Luke stared vacantly at his waffles. Idly, he pushed a slice of Meiloorun around on his plate with his fork. Mara laid a gentle hand on his arm and he brought his gaze up.

"It's not your fault, Love." Her green eyes locked with his as she placed a steaming cup of hot chocolate in front on him. "Here, drink this. It might take your mind off of them for a little while."

"Thanks, Dearest." Luke sipped the chocolate. "It's just that I can't help feeling responsible. How could I not have realized she was only twelve when we met her? I could have saved them both from this heartbreak."

"It's going to be all right. They're both good kids and we're going to work through this." Mare pinned him with a no-nonsense look.

"Papa Luke! Mama Mara!"

The Skywalkers turned towards the door of the breakfast room. Vestara hurried across to join them, casting a surreptitious glance at Ben, who was still choosing his breakfast from the long buffet.

Luke slid out from the circular booth to let Vestara sit between himself and Mara.

"Good morning, Sweetheart," Luke greeted his almost-daughter-in-law with a hug and a fatherly kiss on the top of her head. "What would you like for breakfast?"

Vestara glanced again at the buffet and pursed her lips thoughtfully. "I don't suppose there are any ice cream sodas?"

"Not for breakfast, Honey." Mara eyed Vestara curiously as she handed her a mug of hot chocolate.

"Well, then, anything that can be easily shared." Vestara lifted her chin, determination shining in her eyes. "I have a plan."

Luke looked at Mara and shrugged. As he made his way back to the buffet, Allana bounced over, with Yantahar and Yaquel trailing behind.

"Good morning!" she called cheerfully, balancing a tray on one hand and waving with the other. "Can I join you? I can't get Mom and Dad to wake up and I want to eat breakfast with my family."

"Of course!" Mara patted the seat beside her. Allana slid into the round booth and Mara turned to the two escorts. "I think we've got it for now. Why don't you two get some breakfast?"

The three girls sipped their hot chocolate while they waited for Luke. When he returned with a tray loaded with waffles and fruit, he had Ben in tow. Luke started to slide in next to Vestara until Mara caught his eye, stopping him.

"Please sit by me, Ben." Vestara's voice trembled.

Slowly, Ben eased himself into the seat. Luke sat beside him.

"Ben," Mara admonished when she saw his plate, "you have to eat something."

Ben prodded the small slice of Meiloorun "This is something," he muttered glumly.

"Oh, Ben." Vestara neatly halved the steaming stack of waffles and scooped one half onto Ben's plate. "Try some of these." She added a generous helping of fruit on top.

Ben managed a tremulous smile. "Thanks."

Mara grabbed a mug from the center of the table and started to pour Ben a cup of hot chocolate, only to find that the warming pot was empty.

"Here, share with me," Vestara urged, sliding her mug towards Ben.

"Sorry." Allana tapped her mug. "I guess I took the last cup. I'm just in the mood for hot chocolate this morning." She looked meaningfully at Vestara.

"Okay, girls, what are you plotting?" Luke leaned forward on his elbows and cocked his head.

Allana widened her eyes and blinked innocently at her uncle. Before she could reply, a suave young voice floated over the top of the booth.