Scene 2- The Interruption

Ben and Vestara lay curled on the big plush bed, drinking in their love for one another and basking in their beloved's presence. Reverently, Ben traced the contours of her face. Vestara kept completely still, soaking in his adoration, not daring to move.

"You are perfect. Absolutely perfect," he breathed. "I love so much, but not nearly as much as you deserve to be loved."

Vestara smiled while the rest of her body remained motionless. Ben's sweet words weren't true, of course. She knew she had more than enough faults. She also knew that she would spend the rest of her life trying to be worthy of Ben's love. Yet his words warmed her, washing over her in a gentle, soothing flow.

"Ves," he murmured. He pulled her closer, wrapped himself around her and tenderly fitted his mouth to hers.

Just as they were about to lose themselves in their love, the wallcom buzzed softly. Ben scowled into the kiss as he reached out in the Force to turn it off. He relaxed into a smile, gently stroking her hair.

Ben. Vestara. The voice in the Force was unmistakable.

Not now, Dad.

Right now, Ben. Open the door or I'll have to open it myself.

Vestara gasped. Ben reluctantly broke off the kiss and rose.

"Stay right there," he soothed. "I'll get rid of Dad and be right back."

"Something's wrong. Can't you feel it? And it has to do with us. What do you think we've done?"

"Absolutely nothing wrong." He caught her hand and pressed a kiss into her palm. "Wait for me."

He hurried into the sitting room, leaving the door partly open. A soft whoosh announced the opening of the suite's main door. Vestara lay where Ben had left her, peeking through the doorway and drawing on the Force to calm her pounding heart.

"Ben, I'm so sorry we had to disturb you," Luke began, stepping into the room with Mara and Lando following him. "But something very serious has just come up."

"It couldn't wait until tomorrow?" Ben complained. "We're kind of busy right now."

"Honey," Mara moved forward and laid a hand on her son's shoulder. "You have to hear this."

"You see," Lando broke in, "the Galactic Alliance is suspicious of pleasure cruisers. After all, they make a pretty good front for shady goings-on."

Ben sighed. "What's that got to do with Ves and me? Do you want us to catch smugglers?"

"Nothing that simple, Ben." Luke's voice was gentle but a tingle crept up Vestara's spine nevertheless. "Lando and Tendra have to keep careful tabs on all their passengers to ensure the authorities that they aren't using underaged girls as companions for their guests or allowing anyone to keep an underage companion. It's been a problem on other ships in the past and Chief Dorvan is really cracking down."

"Well, that's bad and he should crack down, but what do you want us to do?" Ben's forehead wrinkle in confusion as he spoke.

"Lando's computer systems run a check on all his passengers," Mara picked up the explanation.

Icy fingers of fear gripped Vestara's heart. She jumped up from the bed, hurried into the sitting room and caught Ben's hand. To her surprise, Luke approached her and placed a gentle hand on her arm. She met his gaze with a puzzled frown.

"What did the computer find, Mama Mara?" Vestara asked.

"Apparently," Mara continued slowly, as if each word pained her, "it compared your birthdate according to Keshiri years with Galactic standard chronology. It seems that a year on Kesh is significantly shorter than our standard year."

Vestara couldn't breathe. The room spun around her. Beside her, Ben stiffened in alarm before reaching out in the Force to steady her.

"You mean," she finally whispered, "that we're not really married?"

"We mean you're going to have to wait a few more years. About three years, actually." Luke slipped a comforting arm around her.

"Then Vestara's only...fifteen?" Ben asked, his eyes and face blank.

"Yes," Mara confirmed. Reassuring waved rolled over Vestara in the Force, doubtless coming from her no longer in-laws.

Ben stepped half a pace away from her. He looked down at the hand he still held, then slowly released it. The blood drained from his face; his lips paled and trembled.

"She's just a child and I... I almost ...Ves, I'm so sorry. I didn't know." Ben paused and swallowed hard. "I thought you were old enough."

No. She could not allow this to happen. They were so close, so linked in heart and mind. No Galactic Alliance law was going to change that.

"Ben, I don't care what the GA says. You're still my husband." Vestara threw her arms around his neck and anchored herself with the Force. No one was going to separate them.

Lando stepped forward, clasping his hands awkwardly. "Um, Ben, Vestara, I don't enjoy any of this. I hope you understand that. The only good news I have is that we found out in time. The marriage wasn't consummated. Tendra's talking with our lawyers and we don't think there will be any legal repercussions."

Vestara managed a faint smile. Lando's wife, Tendra, kept him out trouble; she should be able to help Ben.

"I know you love each other, Vestara, but if you two are intimate before you reach legal age, it could very well mean jail time for Ben." Lando gazed intently at them as if willing them to understand. "I'm so sorry I had to tell you. My records go straight to the Morality Bureau and this seemed like the best way to keep everybody out of trouble."

Luke turned to his friend. "We don't blame you, Lando. I'm glad we found out now instead of later. I think we'd like a little time by ourselves now."

"Sure thing. Let me know if you need anything."

Once Lando had gone, Luke and Mara gently pried Vestara off Ben, pouring soothing Force waves over both of them.

"No!" sobbed Vestara.

"Sweetheart, we know you're upset," Mara took Vestara in her arms. "I promise we're going to work this out, but for now you two are going to have to stay in separate rooms."

Vestara leaned into the embrace and took a deep breath. Mara was right. Getting hysterical would accomplish nothing.

"Ben will stay with us," Luke added, "and Allana has offered to share her room with you, if you'd rather not stay here by yourself."

Vestara nodded. "At least we'll be next door to each other. Papa Luke, isn't there something we can do?"

"We'll do everything we can," Luke assured her. "I'm going to contact Chief Dorvan and see if he can double check the computer's findings with his databases. In the meantime, Lando has a special evening planned. We're going to be in hyperspace for two days, so we'll have stay at least until then. As long as we're here, I think you two should try to have some fun."

"Let's get your stuff moved," suggested Mara. She probably hoped that keeping them busy would keep them distracted.

Ben nodded mutely and headed towards the bedroom, where their bags sat. He was still pale and would not even look at Vestara. A cold ache stabbed her heart. What's going to happen to us?

Author's Note: As I said in the story description, drama follows Skywalkers! But don't worry. There are only happy endings on the Love Commander. Also, I think I need to write a story where Lando isn't filling the stock role of "Lando" (you know, doing whatever Lando would be expected to do in a given situation) and has a storyline of his own. Tendra is the name of Lando's wife in Legends, by the way. 

Thanks  for reading! God bless you!