10 || hardcover

gah my updates r so bad rn im sorrryyyyy im so busy :'((
this chapter mostly focuses on the reader and her mom nd stufffss i hope u enjoy

——

You walked home alone that day. Bruce and Finney were staying out after school to practice with each other for their game on Sunday, and Gwen was going to her friends house.

You walked home slowly, taking the alone time happily. You hadn't really had a moment to yourself since you started school here.

You liked it a lot more than you thought you would; you'd had friends and crushes at old schools, but this place was different. It was so much more comfortable than any other place you'd been to, and you felt like you fit in. You hoped that for once, you guys would end up staying here permanently.

After pacing through neighbourhoods you finally stepped through the gate to your house, kicking off your shoes. A note stuck to your fridge told you that your dad was out with Amanda and would be back later, that there was leftovers in the fridge if he came back late. You grabbed a granola bar and left to your room.

You found an unopened box in your closet and pulled it out, cutting through the tape with your school scissors and revealing the contents.

You knew why this was in your closet. Opening it up, it was full of keepsakes from your old school; things ranging from polaroids to gifts you'd received. You pulled out a stack of polaroids and sifted through them.

You didn't know how long you spent looking through the contents of the box, but it was a while. After putting up some polaroids on your wall you finally picked up the last thing; a dusty yellow hardcover book with your name engraved on the front.

You wiped away the dust and opened the book. On the inside of the cover was a note, written in red pen in the handwriting you recognized as your mothers.

'Y/N

I know you've never seemed to enjoy writing, but maybe one day you'll find a passion in it like I did. This is for you to use as your diary, journal, or just something to write whatever you'd like in. I'll love you forever, N/N.

Love,

      Mom'

You wiped away your tears and flipped through the pages. They were all empty. You decided then that you would start writing in it every night, writing anything you'd like. It could be something to share with your mother, something you could use when you couldn't talk to anyone else.

You pulled yourself onto your bed, grabbing a pen and pulling open to the first page, where you started writing.

'Hey mom.

I miss you, a lot. Its been years but sometimes I can still hear you, still see you every morning. Dads found someone new; a woman named Amanda. I think you and her would get along.
Ive been in several different places since you died, but I think I want to stay here. I love Laura and all my other friends, and I think I'm catching feelings for more than one guy...
Theres Bruce; he's my neighbour, hes soooo handsome. Hes nice, too! Im going to his baseball game this Sunday, I'm excited. He plays against Finney, another boy I'm crushing on, hes my science partner and hes so sweet. We walk together every day and hes amazing, he really likes spaceships.
Robin is nice, too! Im going with him tomorrow to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre, its gonna be so much fun! Oh, and theres Vance. Hes probably someone you'd tell me to stay away from, but inside all that tough guy exterior hes super sweet.
I miss you, so much, but I think I'm finally fitting in here.

Love,
     Y/N'

You closed the cover and looked around for someplace to hide it. You decided to go simple-but-hidden and placed it between your mattress and bed frame before flopping down on your bed.

The phone rang down the hall and you sat up, throwing yourself out of bed and heading to see who called. You picked up the phone and raised it to your ear, twirling the chord around your finger.

"Hello?" You said, listening to the crackly audio on the other line.

"Hey! Is this Y/N?"

You grinned at Robin's voice, leaning against the wall. "Hey, Robin! Whats up?"

"Well, the drive in opens at 8 PM tomorrow. I was thinking my uncle and I could pick you up at 7, we could hang at my house for a bit and then we'd go to the drive-in?" He explained. You could hear some sort of TV show playing in the background.

You almost nodded before speaking. "Yeah, that sounds great! I'll tell my dad. How long do you think we'll be out?"

"Probably until 10, maybe 9:40? Between then, I assume."

"Alright then, Rob, I'll see you then. Cya," you said, listening to his goodbye before putting the phone back and giggling.

You had an eventful two days coming up.

——