8 || roller rink

oh my fucking GOD HI IM SORRYYY IT TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE I JUST GOT WIFI
im okay!!! ther was a lottt of damage tho LMAO 😭😭 but the point is im okay! i dont really think i like this chapter but yolo
also tiffany might show up later :)

——

Bruce sensed tension between you two. He opened his mouth to say something but Alan cut him off, saying some bullshit about how he was excited to go to the skating rink and you guys should leave early so that you could spend more time.

The others agreed, albeit hesitantly, and you were practically glued to Laura's side the whole walk. You noticed how she smelt of cedar and pine trees, a hint of smoke or something layered at the bottom. It fitted her character.

If she knew something was off she didn't mention it, opting to tease you about how you looked at Bruce instead.

You rolled your eyes at her antics and stared ahead (you hoped she didn't see your eyes flick to Bruce, a wide grin on his face with his hands stuffed in his pockets), occasionally whacking her shoulder lightly when she said something out-of-pocket.

It took 10 minutes to get to the rink, faint music echoing through the painted brick walls. A smile painted your face when you heard the music they blasted. Sunny by Boney M. was playing; one of your favourite songs.

You rushed ahead, pushing through the steel double doors into the bright building, not noticing the grin Bruce adorned when you ran past him.

You and the others walked up to a desk, leaning in front of the cashier. She was a tall lady with shiny brown skin and thick curls in a bun resting on her head, streaks of pink and blue laced together with the black.

"How many of you are there?" She asked with a thick accent; you couldn't tell what it was, though.

"5," Ryan replied quickly, "there's 5 of us."

The lady nodded. You noted from her nametag that her name was Tiffany; it fitted her more than you realized. "Twenty-five dollars." she said, taking the money from each of you when you handed your 5's to her.

She lead you to a room full of roller skates, several different colours of them in different sizes on each shelf. There were many pairs missing.

You all got your respectful sizes, your pink ones matching with Laura's blue ones, and Tiffany bid you farewell while you stumbled away onto the smooth granite floors of the rink. The chipped paint occasionally scratched the wheels of your skates.

You skated side by side with Laura until she got distracted by a cute girl a bit away from you, waving bye as she skated over. You sailed smoothly across the floor, watching the happy people as you went.

You jumped in surprise when a hand grabbed your shoulder, the familiar scent of weed and body oder filling your senses when Alan came up behind you. He skated in sync with you and stared down.

"Listen," he started, "if you say a word to Bruce or Ryan or even your little fuckin' friend over there, I'll kill you myself."

Before you could even start on a comeback he skated away, leaving you with a gaping mouth and hands balled in fists. You shut your mouth and sighed, skating to the wall and leaning against it. On one hand, you could just tell Bruce anyways, but you decided against it- unnecessary drama wasn't really your thing.

Speaking of Bruce, he skated up to you, stopping next to you. His shoulder brushed yours when he leaned against the wall.

"Hey," he said, " 's something wrong?"

You shook your head. "No, I just... like this wall."

Bruce chuckled. "Hey, uh... you don't have to answer but, did something happen between you and Alan? Like, have you guys... y'know?"

Your face flushed red. "NO! Oh my god, no, gross! I just... something happened with him the other day. It's nothing to worry about, trust me."

Bruce frowned. "Did he come on to you? He's done that before, I really don't know why I'm still friends with him honestly, and I-"

You cut him off quickly. "Yeah, but it's okay, I'm fine, I promise."

——

Bruce clearly didn't think you were fine, because only 20 minutes later he came back while Alan stomped out the door.

"I'm sorry about him, I really am. I told him off, if he ever pulls something like that just tell me and I'll-"

"Bruce oh my god, you really didn't have to," you said quickly, "it happens all the time, I would've been fine, I swear."

Bruce frowned. "I'm sorry. That's so stupid, I'm really sorry you have to go through that,"

You opened your mouth to reply, but Bruce slung his arms around your waist and pulled you in to a hug. You stood shocked for a moment before hugging him back, taking in the scent of his cologne. You stayed like that for a good minute before Laura called over to you.

You let go of Bruce (your arms lingered for a second more), turning to look at her. She had a giddy smile and you assumed that her conversation with that girl had worked.

"Do you guys wanna go out and get ice cream? They have a good place down the street, they have lots of flavours." She stuffed her hands in the pockets of her overalls.

You looked over at Bruce and he nodded. "Sure."

——

You, Ryan, Bruce and Laura headed down to the small shop. There weren't many people around, so you didn't have to wait very long.

You got vanilla, Bruce got chocolate, Laura got strawberry and Ryan got mint chocolate chip. You sat on the curb while eating it, and Laura leaned in next to you.

"So, what was that hug about, huh?" She teased, a toothy grin spreading across her face. You rolled your eyes.

"It was just a hug, Laur, nothing more! Stop making assumptions, I'm not instantly in love with someone just because I hugged him."

"Yeah, but you are in love with him, so..."

——

By the time you got home, Laura's mom had already picked her up and Ryan had separated from you guys to go home. Bruce and you stood in front of your house, staring at each other for a moment.

Bruce leaned in, giving you a tight hug. You leaned into it, stuffing your face in the crook of his neck. You felt him tense for a moment, before he grinned against your hair.

He pulled away, smiling, and you rested your hands on his biceps. You two leaned closer- closer-

"Bruce! It's so dark out, what took you so long to get home?"

Bruce quickly pulled away and looked towards his house where his mom stood in the doorway. He looked back at you sheepishly.

"Ah, sorry... well, I'll see you tomorrow. Friday. Bye, N/N."

You grinned and nodded, watching him walk away. When he closed his house door behind him, you jumped around, skipping into your house happily.

Your father was already in bed, and you put the leftover money on the counter for him. You went upstairs, changing into pyjamas.

You laid on your bed, pulling your blankets over your body and sighing. Your face flushed when you remembered the almost-kiss with Bruce.

Did he feel the same way about you? Or, rather, did you feel like that with just Bruce?

——