Chapter 9- Laura

Trigger warnings- Drug mention and swearing.

The dreaded white envelope is sticking out of my locker when I approach it on Friday morning. James told me that Ryan got one. He didn't say what it was just that whoever had sent it was trying to blackmail Ryan. I don't know how they've learned my secret but there isn't anything else they could blackmail me over is there?

When I open the envelope there is a screenshot and a note. The screenshot shows my school email address and the file that is linked on the email is entitled 'entrance exam maths answer sheet'. I can't believe they found out.

I should probably explain. James and I arrived at the start of the year, towards the end of the first week we had to take an exam to make sure we were up to the standards of Oakwood. Other students had already done the exam but as we arrived late we hadn't yet. When I discovered that the classes we would be put in were based on our ability I was desperate to make it into the top class. So I tried to find the answer sheet. I eventually found the maths answer sheet on Mrs Greenwood's computer, so I quickly emailed it to myself so I could cheat on the exam. Due to the lack of time I had to study it I didn't get into the top class but I did get into the second highest, which was an achievement.

I have no idea how the blackmailer found this out. Or what they want. I open the note and quickly discover what they want.

MESSAGE THE FOLLOWING NUMBER AND ASK FOR A BAG OF COKE. TELL THEM TO LEAVE IT IN THE 4TH CUBICLE IN THE BOYS TOILETS ON THE 5TH FLOOR By 10am. I WILL PAY THEM LATER. DO IT OR THE SCREENSHOT GOES PUBLIC.

0203040506

I don't know who's number that is. I decide to just do as the blackmailer asks. I type the number into my phone and text them the following

Me: I would like to get a bag of coke.

They reply almost immediately

Them: Sure thing where can we meet and when.

I text back

Me: leave it in the fourth cubicle in the boys toilets on the fifth floor. Could you get it there before 10am?

Them: Sure thing, slip the payment into an envelope and leave it in locker 109. I'll text the price over later.

I know I don't need to worry about the price but I have no idea exactly what they want with a bag of coke anyway. I always stay away from drugs no matter what.

It's a short while later and I am in the school gym. It's a rather boring lesson. We're practising serving in tennis. Just as we think the bell for the end of the lesson is about to go, the fire bell starts ringing. I look up at the clock... 10am. Someone must have pressed that on purpose. The blackmailer...

We all move outside to the field, the assembly point and I look around to see who isn't here. I am standing next to James as we need to be lined up in alphabetical order. Suddenly Mrs Greenwood comes storming out of the school building with a hand on someone's shoulder. As she gets closer the whole school can see that it's Ryan Jamison. Mr Rogers storms over and starts speaking to Mrs Greenwood quietly. They are much too far away for us to hear. Ryan moves to stand in the year 11 line and fortunately he is not too far away for James and I to talk to him.

"What happened?" James asks quietly.

"I was putting the stuff in the toilets and when I came out Greenwood saw me and thought I was the one who set the alarms off" Ryan replies.

"Shit," James mutters, "did she find the stuff?"

Ryan clearly understands what he means, unlike me. "No thank god" he replies.

"What exactly was that about?" I ask James as we head back inside.

"Ryan got a text this morning asking him to place a bag of coke in the 4th toilet on the 5th floor," James replies "but the text didn't mention anything about a fire alarm at the same time." I'm about to tell him I sent the text but I don't want to scare him before he gets his first message from the blackmailer.

We walk towards block B as we both have science next when James runs ahead of me. I see him pull a white envelope out of his locker. Oh no he's got one too. He opens it as I approach him.

"What the hell is this?" He asks. I look down and see the contents of the envelope.

There's a screenshot that's clearly of a text conversation which reads:

Me: Hey I'd like to get hold of some coke. Know where I can get some?

020304050607: Yeah where can we meet and when?

Me: Lunchtime 12:45 behind block B?

020304050607: What do you look like?

Me: I'll collect it later. Leave it in the bush behind block B. I'll drop the payment at locker 109 later.

020304050607: Perfect thanks.

I don't know what to think at first. "Is that your number?" I ask.

"Yeah," James replies "well the one from my burner phone. Shit." That is the understatement of the century. MY BROTHER IS SELLING DRUGS. James looks at the note.

THE SCREENSHOT GOES VIRAL IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT I ASK. TELL ROGERS THAT IT WAS JESSICA GREENWOOD WHO SET OFF THE FIRE ALARM.

"He'll never believe me" James complains.

"Tell him by a note," I suggest "slide it under his door." James smiles "nice idea. Thanks L." He walks off towards the science lab.

"Anytime" I call out. I have no idea if I should tell him that I sent the text this morning. I ultimately decided not to because I don't trust him. I have learned two things. 1 James is dealing drugs and 2 he lied to me about Ryan getting the text from me instead of him. What a lot of interesting things I'm learning about my brother today.