15. Tool Monologue

Start from the beginning

Hiratsuka: 'Ayanokouji, huh?

Maruo: 'Of course it's Kiyotaka.'

Arisu/Ryuuen: 'I have no doubt. It's him. Fufufufuf/kukukuku'

I kicked off from the wet ground and chased Ibuki. The weather was a bothersome problem. If it got much worse, I might get stuck or have an accident. Also, the fact that the sun was going down earlier than I'd anticipated made it difficult to push forward without a flashlight. The passing showers grew even stronger, and the winds started to howl more violently. The weather was just negative all around, no favorable points at all.

I could only see a few meters ahead because of the pouring rain. Also, if I wandered onto any of the side roads, I'd probably get lost. Thankfully, two pairs of footprints remained in the muddy ground and made it easy for me to follow after them. The footprints just suddenly stopped, though. No, on second glance, they didn't stop; they continued deeper into the forest.

Maki: "Frankly, he is brave. I'm sure most of us don't want to wander around the forest in the dark or heavy rain."

Hayasaka: "Ayanokouji-kun is so brave." She looked at the screen dreamily.

Nino looked with gleamed eyes. She was wondering what would happen if she and Ayanokouji run into each other during the field trip.

Irisu: 'It's insane how perceptive he is. His thinking in the dark while being fearless and maintaining his composure is extremely incredible. It's making me think that he is acquainted with darkness.'

The fact that the footprints suddenly took a sharp turn meant they hadn't gotten lost, but rather that they'd intentionally ventured deeper into the forest. When I pointed my flashlight toward the depths of the forest, I saw the two pairs of footprints going deeper and deeper. There was no reason for them to intentionally enter such a dangerous place. Just to be sure, I tried shining the flashlight on the route that led to the beach, but there weren't any footprints.

The ground was clear. I wiped away the rain dripping from my bangs, and followed the footprints deeper into the forest. Naturally, my visibility got even worse. It was like night had already fallen. The atmosphere was creepy and dark, but I pushed forward, relying only on the footprints. I continued forward for about thirty meters. Suddenly, a bright light entered my field of vision. I immediately turned the flashlight off and held my breath. Looking in the direction of the light, I saw it shine once, then twice more. A flashlight. It was almost as if someone were sending a signal. Was it Ibuki and Horikita? No, that wasn't it. Neither Ibuki nor Horikita should have had a light source on them. I quietly turned in the direction of the light and drew closer to the source. I heard people's voices, muffled by the rain, and hid myself. Their conversation sounded trivial. So as long as they didn't find me, getting a grasp on the situation was secondary. Soon, the light moved further away. It was over, apparently. Just to be sure, I approached cautiously.

Ichika: "How can he be so perspective in the dark?" She was in awe.

Miyuki: "His eyesight is perfect. Even his auditory senses are perfect."

The audience was once again impressed by Ayanokouji.

Hachiman: 'This guy is truly amazing. He can fight, thinks realistically, loner like me, extremely intelligent. I don't know why, but he has something more to show. If I meet Ayanokouji, I'm sure I will be wary of him. He is hiding, even in his true thoughts.'

Yukino: 'Just who is this person? He is adept in many things. But, he is hiding something, I want to see it.'

Near a large tree lay a muddy Horikita. She'd collapsed, unconscious. A single keycard lay on the ground near her hand. On her injured body were traces of excavated soil. After examining the situation, I confirmed that more people than Ibuki had discovered Horikita's position as leader. After picking up the keycard, I lifted Horikita into my arms.