I paused, allowing his words to sink into my head. What he said was true. I was glad to have this man talk to me since he gave me the epiphany I needed.

"Once a King passes, his legitimate son inherits the throne. It has always been like that. Hence, after your grandfather passed away, Prince Aren became King." Hilan explained.

"I am aware of how the laws of succession work," I told him, confused. Why was he talking about this?

"Elest Simion is a bastard. Even if he was legitimised, it doesn't matter. He was not of noble birth and the only thing that draws him to the throne is the royal blood that flows through him. Had he been born a commoner, he would not have had these ridiculous ambitions."

I could sense his anger when he spoke those words. I had to say that he looked intimidating when he was furious.

"But...if something unfortunate does happen to you...The throne would pass on to him as he is the closest relative. Do you realise what I mean?" He asked me with a raised eyebrow.

I closed my eyes, thinking of an answer. It didn't take me long to find it.

"My child..." I whispered.

"Your child is a setback to him. That is why you must ensure the Queen's safety, boy. That is why it is important to have an heir, even if the times are not pleasant,"

So, my whole reasoning and fear of having a child were unreasonable. Even if his words made sense, my stubborn mind refused to admit it.

"What if I can't protect her?" I asked Hilan tersely. "If I and my child are stopping that vile man from his ambition, wouldn't he do anything to eliminate the hindrances?"

"Have some faith in yourself, Your Majesty." Hilan sighed. "I ask you a question. Would you protect the Queen at all costs? Is it a yes or no?"

"Of course, it's a yes," I replied quickly. "Why wouldn't I ?"

He nodded and fell silent, leaving me to my own thoughts.

"Did you observe the strange patterns on his assassination attempts?" He asked me out of the blue.

When I shook my head, he stood up and began pacing around the room.

"He attacked you with poison first. Using poison is unmanly. At that time, the Queen wasn't pregnant."

"Had the attempt been successful, he could have easily had the throne. You were heirless and the council would have no choice but to request him to come back to Anthreal." He finished.

"But I survived," I replied, understanding what he was trying to convey. "Hence, he had Willaim Sunster to sow misunderstanding between me and Catheline,"

"That did not work as well. Hence, he attempted to hurt again. Later on, there was an even bigger attack on the castle. It was mainly directed at you and the Queen,"  he added.

"He wanted to do the same thing as he had done to my parents," I mumbled in realisation.

I did underestimate Hilan Corrington. I thought of him as a man who would not take the pressure of these perilous times. He yearns for justice too.

"Why had he been so calm now?..." I inquired Hilan. "Do you think he is planning an even bigger onslaught?" 

He gave me a sharp look and nodded slowly.

"I assume that he is planning something big," He told me. "But I think that the real reason why he hadn't attacked is because of the Queen,"

I blinked, confused. "Catheline?"