"Um, Heather? What should I do?" She asked.

"Just stay here and wait. And don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." Heather said as she rushed out the door to meet with her employer.

"Don't do anything stupid, got it." Martha casually leaned on the second desk and patiently waited for a few minutes until Heather returned with an older woman with dark skin, blonde hair, green eyes, and wearing expensive clothing in front of her; that must've been Johanna Starling.

"Thank you for your report, Heather. And you'd better do those things I asked. If not, then you know the consequences. Wait, who's that?" The woman asked as she headed into her office.

"Oh, no one." Heather stammered. "Uh, I mean, she's here to apply for the second assistant opening. I was sort of pre-interviewing her, but she is absolutely hopeless."

"Send her in." Johanna said, sitting down at her desk.

"What?"

"You heard me, send her in. I'll clearly have to see her for myself. The last two girls you sent me were completely inadequate. Send her in. I won't ask you again. That will be all."

"...Yes, Johanna."

Heather gestured for Martha to go in before she walked away. Martha took a deep breath and reluctantly entered Johanna Starling's office. Johanna looked up from her work and gave the young redhead a look she couldn't quite define.

"And you are?" She asked.

"Hello, my name is Martha May Whovier." Martha said, putting her folder on the desk. "I recently graduated from Northeastern Who University."

"Then what are you doing here?"

"I... think I can do a good job as your assistant."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"...So you don't read Who Runway?"

"No, I do. I do. Just... not very often."

"And before today, you've never heard of me."

"...No, not really."

"And you have no style or sense of fashion."

"Um... was that a question?"

"No, it wasn't."

After a moment, Martha decided to change the subject.

"I was once editor in chief of the Daily Who Eastern." She said. "I did a column on the Art Institutes along with the Charity and Volunteer works, which I am personally quite proud of. It summarizes the different programs and events we've organized during my time there and—"

"That's all." Johanna quickly said.

Martha paused; she hadn't realized how rude and cold the editor in chief of such a successful magazine could be. Then again, it's not like she didn't see this coming. Feeling defeated and somewhat relieved, she was about to turn around to leave before saying, "You're right. I don't belong here. I'm not skinny or glamorous and I may not know a lot about fashion... but I'm smart. I'm organized, I'm responsible, I learn fast, and I will work very hard to—"

Before Martha could finish, Franklin suddenly came in with a stack of papers and he put them on Johanna's desk.

"Johanna, I really need your opinion on this. It's very important." He said. "It's about this cover art concept. The girl and the rest of the outfit are perfectly fine, but that enormous feathered headdress she's wearing makes her look like a flapper from who knows when."

"Thank you for your time." Martha awkwardly said before making her way to the exit.

"Who is that?" Franklin asked himself. "If you ask me, she looks to have a lot of potential."

"That's for me to decide, Franklin." Johanna said coldly.

"Yes, of course."

That evening, Martha had just finished cooking dinner when she heard the front door of the lavish abode she lived in open. She turned her heard in the direction of the door to see a short round man wearing a gray and brown suit standing in the doorway. He gave her a bored look.

"Hello, August." She said, quickly standing up from the table. "How was work?"

"The same." August said, hanging his scarf and coat on the nearby coat rack. He went over to the table and sat down. "Where is dinner?"

"It's in the kitchen." Martha answered.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go get it."

"Right, of course."

Martha stood up, sped into the kitchen, and quickly returned with a few platters of food. She set them down on the table and sat down across from August. As she watched him eat, she twiddled her thumbs under the table and sat in silence. August quickly took notice and paused.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing." Martha answered. "I'm just... thinking."

"What did I say about thinking?"

"That it's a waste of time and that I shouldn't bother with it."

"Precisely... How did that interview go?"

"Honestly... I don't know. I doubt I'll get the job though."

"Why?"

"Because... because I don't fit in."

August stopped eating and pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh. "Please tell me you're joking. You are twenty-two years old now and you have been living with me for the past three years; I cannot be the only working Who in this household, you must understand that. You need a job as well, Martha May."

"I know. And I do understand, I really do. But... can't it be something like my old job?"

"Teaching? Storytelling? No. Working with children is pointless and unfulfilling; I've told you this a dozen times before, yet you still fail to see the truth." He paused. "Tell you what; if Johanna Starling doesn't call back within the next three days... you can get a job at the local library or bookstore."

"Really?" Martha's eyes lit up.

"Why, of course. Would I lie to you?"

Martha smiled a sheepish smirk as August took her hand in his own. "No, you wouldn't."

"Good. Now eat up. You're far too thin." He let go of her hand and continued to eat.

'Too thin? Me? Maybe I like not being fat.' Martha thought, reluctantly taking a small spoonful of mashed potatoes and placing them on her plate.