7. A Clear and Druken Mind is the Best Mind

Comenzar desde el principio

"And we'll also stock up on red wine," Sanji adds.

"Red wine?" Zoro asks. "We only need sake."

Nami shakes her head. "Jun-chan said she loves wine. And considering she gave me - ahem, us - a hefty 1.5 billion beli, we owe it to her to buy some."

"Is that so?"

One by one, we exit the kitchen and spread out on the deck, admiring the night sky freckled with stars.

"Brook, play us a song!" Luffy demands.

Brook picks up his violin and begins playing with the utmost poise and spirit. Warmth vibrates through the atmosphere, lulling me to close my eyes and enjoy with just my ears.

"Food!" Luffy screams.

Sanji drops his leg on Luffy's head without mercy. "You just ate dinner!"

"Here you go, mademoiselle," he then says softly beside me. "A glass of wine from our last bottle."

"I appreciate it!"

The first sip is always the best. The taste of strong yet subtle sweetness bursts through my mouth. An indescribable aroma lingers on my tongue, tingling my throat ever so slightly. There was only one thing missing. Kal's touch, I then realize, can't be found in any existing wine anymore.

Sanji notices me zone out. "What's wrong? Is the wine not good?"

"It's excellent." I smile. "You have very good taste in wine."

In one massive gulp, I finish all the wine in the glass.

He takes it from me. "I'll take care of that."

"Thank you, Sanji-san. Goodnight."

I'm unsure if I dare to say anything else to him, so I force myself to walk away. His gaze follows me, but he doesn't move from where he's standing.

The first hiccup comes abruptly.

"Shit," I whisper. "I forgot about this."

I begin climbing up to the crow's nest.

"Calling it an early night?" Robin asks.

"Getting a little more rest before you all go to sleep," I say. "Good night, Robin-san."

"Goodnight, Juniper."

I hiccup on the way up to the crow's nest, and despite doing everything in my power for it to stop, it doesn't go away. I feel my face heating up, too.

Everyone's still awake; it wouldn't hurt to take a quick nap right now.

<>

"Oi." A rough voice jolts me awake. "You planning on sleeping all night?"

"Ah, right," I mumble, rubbing my eyes. "Is everyone asleep now?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm here."

"How long are you planning on coming up here every night?"

"Until I can trust you."

I hiccup.

Zoro narrows his eyes. "Don't tell me... are you drunk from drinking that tiny glass of wine?"

I hiccup again. "Drunk is such a harsh word. I just get hiccups."

"And your face is bright red," he adds. "You're not gonna be able to cast your Observation Haki again, are you?"

"Quite the opposite," I counter. "I can cast it better after drinking wine."

"Huh?"

"As you know, my Observation Haki is better once I have fewer emotions. Drinking wine helps me get rid of emotions," I explain.