Chapter 5: Past Doesn't Let Go

Comenzar desde el principio

He could be anywhere right now. That thought keeps me awake.

First time I leave the house is on the fourth day, a day before Christmas. When I enter the story, the envy of happy faces of enjoyment and happiness for spending it with their loved ones is strong, but I don't say anything. Keeping my head down, purchasing usual needs for living is the only thing on my mind, surpassing the fact that for the first time in almost three decades I will be spending it alone.

This fate thing really loves karma.

"Chocolate santa, chocolate santa, mom." I glance to the left, spotting three smaller chulder which are chanting their pleas to mother, who is already craning her back with the weight of things she is holding for them.

"Alex, sweetie." she smiles down at the youngest one. "I can't carry anything else and we don't have that much money to spend on candies."

"But it's Christmas." the kid yells, throwing his arms next to his body. "Come on, come on, come on..."

Children like this remind me why I love Leah and hate the rest of the children.

"Hey." I announce, making the child throw a tantrum flinch before turning to me. Whichever insult he was ready to throw at his mother, he ended up swallowing it down when he spotted me, but the anger never left.

There is a weird sensation on my face, but I write it off on the mad young eyes glaring at me.

"Who are you and what the hell do you want?" I tilt my head to the side, hearing the shocked words from his mom at his outburst. This kid couldn't be older than seven, short nevertheless, even more than Leah.

Instead of arguing with this senseless child, I step to the side, smiling at his mom when I take two of three of her grocery baskets. She looks tired, even more exhausted from taking care of these kids than the obvious lack of sleep.

I turn back to the kid, nodding at the thank you from the polite mother. "You know, I have a friend in the police and there is this rule that a parent is allowed to leave their child all alone in the grocery shop if they misbehave."

The kids' eyes are wide. "You are lying."

I pretend to wince, biting my lip. "Well, insulting an adult is definitely a couple of years in jail."

The child is stepping back, horror in his eyes as the couple years older set of twins laugh. Well the boy laughs, the girl only smiles in the distance, but she seems like she would be anywhere else in the world but here.

Not wanting to torute this child any longer I look down at him, lowering my voice. "But, I can forget both of these if you promise not to act like this anymore."

He is relentlessly nodding at that, when his mom steps nexts to me, looking at the girl. "Monica, sweety can you please take Alex and Mario back to the car."

She only nods, Mario following as she grabs Alex's shirt, basically dragging him through the store. For a moment, I am ready to apologize for interfering, but when I look back at her, she is grinning from each side, looking at me with brightness in dark eyes.

"Thank you." she tells me. "I know how annoying the children screaming in public are, but this would be his first Christmas since his father left us and he wasn't in a good mood. And I know that I should handle this myself, but I just-"