"Why can't you tell me? And.. who the hell is this Fai girl?" Your eyebrows furrowed upon reading the preview of the message.

"Figure it out."

"Wait-"

Too late, he already hung up. Now you had more questions than answers. But, he did give you a lead.

You took a seat on a pile of old wood and opened the text from Desmond.

"Fai Aberdale.." you mumble to yourself as you read. Desmond had sent you an article about this girl, including her address and family.

Reading the article didn't really give you anything. The girl had been severely bullied throughout high school and the article itself was mainly complaining about the school's lack of involvement. Just as you were about to close out of the article, the name of the school caught your eye.

Lakeside High.

The same school you had gone to.

You took a look at the other information Desmond had sent you. Cecil and Klyde Aberdale. You knew exactly what Desmond wanted you to do. It seemed a little odd though. You needed to come up with a reasonable excuse for this.

The walk there was a bit further than you originally thought. By the time you reach the right street, your legs are extremely tired. You really needed to invest in some form of transportation.

The address in the text message floated through your thoughts as you scanned each house. Eventually, you came across the right one and double checked your phone to make sure you had it right.

It was a nice little house. A one story, cozy looking home. The grass was kept and it had a little stone path to the front door. As you walked the stones, you noticed an old bird bath in the middle of a flower bed. It was tilted with dark brown water inside, leave litter and dead bugs scattered across the water's surface. Dead grass and dirt decorated the small porch leading up to the door. The more you looked at the lawn, you realized that the grass was the only thing that looked remotely cared for.

The trees were rotting. The flower bed was overgrown with weeds, the beautiful flowers that may have resided there have been long dead. It was like the whole yard had been completely forgotten. A scraggly cat strode up the stone path, something dangling from its mouth. Its fur was silver and missing in some places, it looked to be matted and coated in filth. Half of its whiskers were missing and the remaining ones looked crooked and odd. The cat hopped past you and scratched at the door.

The thing dangling from the cat's mouth was a rotting carcass of some rodent. It dropped the rodent and licked its paws, proud of itself for catching something already dead.

It wasn't long before the door opened, catching you completely off guard.

"Come on, Missy. Get your ass insi-" The woman stopped mid-sentence when she saw you. "Who are you?"

"Sorry, miss. My name is (Y/n), I'm a reporter. You caught me just as I was about to knock on your door, ma'am." You give her a nervous smile.

"A reporter?" She kept the door half closed, only revealing her face and part of her upper body. The cat picks up the treasure it had found and trots into the house through the lady's legs.

The woman, who you assumed was Cecil Aberdale, looked ghostly thin and frightened. Her hair is a tangled mess, there are bags under her eyes, her face is gaunt, and she's wearing what looks to be a very tattered bathrobe.

"Yes, a reporter. I work for a reputable company. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding your daughter?"

The woman scoffs. "Please, how desperate are you for a story? I don't have business with you, get lost."