New hire

Sherry

I put Gus in charge of my new occupants in the sanctuary. I wouldn't worry about Stan falling asleep. Steve was too busy sneezing with his allergies kicking into high gear. Brad was way too bashful. Harry would want to throw them a party. And Davis would worry about the animal's aggression.

I walked into the office to find a girl waiting for me. "Can I help you?"

The girl shoved a piece of paper in my face and flapped it at me. "I came to apply for a job. My name is Lydia."

"Okay, Lydia. You seem eager." I took the paper from her hands and read through the resume. "Have you ever worked with animals?"

"Oh, yes! I love animals."

I looked at Lydia as she smiled brightly. "Good to know since my patients are the furry kind."

"I don't understand." Lydia cocked her head and punched her brows together in confusion.

Before I could respond, the bell on the front door chimed. I glanced at Hans, who strolled around the office with his hands in his front pockets. What did he want?

******
Hans

I took a break from work and ventured around town before my feet led me to the vet clinic. I expected furry love butts to run around, but there weren't any.

Sherry cleared her throat. I stopped and twisted on my heels.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"If you run a clinic for furry love butts, where are they?" I asked.

"I just opened. I haven't had any patients yet."

"What about advertising?"

"What?"

"You know. That thing where you post your services to people to bring their furry love butts to you."

"Do you mean posters?" A girl asked.

"Yah, that's it. Plaster those around town." I waved my hand around to emphasize an area.

"I'm the only vet in town. People would bring their animals to me, you stoner," I said.

"Fo sho." I laughed.

Sherry cleared her throat. "Did you need something?"

"Nah. I took a break from work. Thought I would mosey through town until my feet led me here."

"Why?"

"Beats me. My feet have a mind of their own." I raised a foot and wiggled my sneaker before lowering it.

"Look, I don't have time to hang out. My patients will arrive soon." Sherry looked at the girl. "Can you answer a phone and use a computer?"

"Yes!" The girl exclaimed.

"Then you're hired." Sherry walked away to her office and closed the door.

The girl walked behind the desk and pressed different keys on the keyboard with one finger. I strolled over to the counter and peered over it to see what she was doing.

"Can I help you?" The girl asked mid-stroke.

"You don't know anything about computers, do you?"

"I know enough."

I arched my brow, walked around the counter, and started typing. I used the mouse to open programs.

"How did you do that?"

"Computers are child's play. This one operates basic programs. Watch and learn, lack of skills." I showed the girl how to operate the computer, then stepped aside. "Now you try."