Part 5

Vernon was defensive to let the police officers into the home, eventually, the situation escalated and Vernon was placed in handcuffs for becoming verbally abusive to the officers that had been called. Back up units were called to deal with the man who was placed into the back of the vehicle, with the other officer walking inside to witness a woman hugging her son who was shaking with fear.

Dudley was scared his father was going to be in big trouble. He didn't want that, he was happy with his parents and didn't want Vernon to be taken away. The other half of his was scared he was going to be hit as well. "Mrs Dursley are you alright?" He makes a mental note of the red handprint on her cheek. The stinging pain she felt in her cheek had been forgotten as she sat there comforting her son.

It was clear that Vernon had physically assaulted his wife, being caught red-handed. The officer did notice some bloodstains on the cream carpet in the living room.

The backup units didn't take long to arrive at the home, getting the attention of the neighbours already gossiping about what was occurring. They all noticed Vernon being interviewed by an officer while others went inside to interview Petunia. "Where is your nephew, Harry Potter?" A female officer asks after getting a long description of what had happened that night. The news of her unborn child had upset her husband and he had lashed out at her.

Petunia gulps. "My husband locks him under the stairs in a cupboard." She answers softly, still holding her son Dudley.

The officer nods as others unlock the door to reveal a small boy with dark hair laying on his bed groaning in pain. It was clear he had been harmed recently. "We are going to need a medic, we have a small boy that has sustained head injuries." An officer mentions through radio communication. They confirm they are sending an ambulance to the scene to get medical attention for the boy.

Back outside the officer is informing Vernon of the seriousness of the situation. "So there is clear evidence that you have physically assaulted both your wife and nephew this evening, so we are going to bring you into the station for further questioning." There were only a few charges verbally mentioned to Vernon, who was only listening due to his decision to only talk with his lawyer present. He thought this whole situation was ridiculous, both his wife and nephew had made a mistake and he was merely punishing them. He would get all the charges dropped due to his family's lawyer and the connections he had with the local judges.

Vernon just holds a cold stare as he witnesses an ambulance arrives with the lights flashing. This was just getting out of hand now!

Vernon is driven away in the police car, as Petunia is assisted outside watching her nephew be loaded up into the ambulance. She had been instructed to ride with him, they wanted to make sure there were no other injuries. Things were going to be different for the family, as the paramedics work to make Harry comfortable for the ride to the hospital. This situation changed Dudley's mind as he got excited hearing the sirens as they drive away from the house.

Once at the emergency department Petunia is seen by medical staff. She noted that she was pregnant and the doctors ordered bloodwork to be done, otherwise she and Dudley had a clean bill of health. Perhaps all those years ago her sister had been correct for being concerned for her welfare. Not only had she suffered through pain, but also her sister's son.

The staff explained after a couple of hours that Harry had been transferred to the wards to recover. He merely had a bump on the back of his head and they were managing the headache he was experiencing with painkillers, otherwise, he was alright. Petunia let out a sigh of relief as she meets with a welfare officer in a private room, another officer was distracting Dudley with colouring pages while Petunia talked with the woman. "So things will be different." Petunia noted as the female office Daphine nodded, opening a file in front of her. "I am alright."