XXVII. 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬

Vance stared at Sarah across the table as they sat in the diner

Vance stared at Sarah across the table as they sat in the diner. No one was in, it was a week day and barely late enough for people to have gotten off work. He questioned how both Ella and Jason managed to be, maybe that's why Sarah was so happy and made him stay. He was glad he had, he worried what she'd have done if he didn't follow her. Apart of him wanted to yell at her, pissed off but worried at the same time. "So, that was fucking crazy."

"I'm not fucking crazy." she defended herself, picking at the sides of her nails as she kept her eyes on the table. "If you're gonna be mean, just go."

"I'm not being mean." Vance corrected her. "And I didn't say you were fucking crazy, I said that was fucking crazy."

"Yeah, that sort of thing happens." she didn't even try to hide the fact that she was mad, it was all over her face and laced with every word she mumbled. "I mean, how can they just sit there and talk about all the other stupid fucking matters in the world and not mention once that my best friend is gone? That he's probably dead and the department is on the verge of giving up? Are you fucking kidding me? I could just..."

But, she didn't finish that sentence. She didn't wanna hear herself say something like that, it wasn't who she was and Sarah knew it. "I fucking hate this world so much."

"Me too." Vance agreed with her. "Wanna kill ourselves to get away from it?"

Sarah tried not to smile at his attempt to make her feel better. "No."

Vance still hadn't been able to recognize her yet, he was getting there, but he wasn't seeing Sarah yet. She was digging her nails into the palms of her hands, making little crescent moons. He tried, but he'd bitten his off. "Sorry you hate this would so much, Sheeps."

"It's okay." she shrugged, chewing on the inside of her mouth. "I don't hate this world. I was just mad. I couldn't hate it, only reason I met you."

Vance cracked a grin at her words. "Maybe if we were both dead we'd have met."

"Maybe so. Are ghost allowed to fall in love?" she gave a questionable look.

"We're in love?" he gave her a look of disbelief.

"Finney said we are. He's usually right." Sarah looked down at the table. "I think we are."

"Okay, that's fine." Vance shrugged his shoulders. "You think we'll break up?"

"Yeah." Sarah said it honestly. "I think we'll piss each other off in a couple years and you'll break up with me and i'll throw Aspen in your face and blame you for it."

"Sounds about right." he had to agreed. "I'll probably meet someone just like you and try not to hate them because they remind me so much of you."

"You probably will, and you'll fall in love with them because they remind you so much of me." Sarah shrugged her shoulders, hiding a smile. "Makes sense. You obviously have a type."