iii. 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬? 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞.

"I'm proud of you

"I'm proud of you." Sarah smiled as Vance rolled his eyes, going back to his pinball machine after violently yelling definition at her when she called out words. "You got all of them right except one. In just a week."

"Can you shut up?" he snapped a her, yanking the lever a little too hard.

"Yup, shutting up." she hopped off the counter and walked toward the slushy machine. "I'm just saying-"

Vance sighed loudly and rolled his eyes. "-see how well you do when you apply yourself?"

"See how well I do when you shut up?" he mocked her, watching his score get a little higher. "We done now?"

"No." Sarah filled up her drink. "Pop quiz in math on Friday."

"How do you know?" Vance rolled his eyes.

"I have my connections." Sarah shrugged, sipping at her straw. "Want one?"

"No." he rolled his eyes, side eyeing her as she walked back to the counter. "What pop quiz?"

"Math. I just said." she said in return, setting the slush down and hopping back up on the counter. Vance groaned loudly, Sarah mimicked him. "You better get over here then, we only have four days."

"In a minute." he waved her off without looking back, yanking the lever again. Sarah rolled her eyes, only because he wasn't watching her. She got out the papers he'd need, already have written a few problems down for him to solve. She had been in contact with his math teacher on her lunch period, getting a decent feel of what his class would be quizzed on. "God, piece of shit!"

Sarah gave a crazy look at the paper, bracing herself as he pushed the machine and then stormed her way. Sarah had confined Vance was a drama queen and the biggest over reactor she'd ever known. She'd never tell him that though, just liked to think it. She went to take a sip of her slush again before it was yanked from her hands. "Hey!"

Vance ignored her, throwing the straw and taking a large gulp. Personally, Sarah could feel the brain freeze approaching for him. Vance likely could too but would pretend it wasn't a big deal, or maybe that sort of thing just didn't affect him the way it did her. He put the cup down, closer to him then her. "Knowledge me, nerd."

She passed him the paper. "Show me what you got."

He gave a look of disbelief. "I don't know this shit!"

"I know. But, I have to know what your strategy is when solving so I can correct it." Sarah crossed her legs on the counter. Vance huffed, hopping up on it as well and yanking a pencil from the little stack. He used the back of one of her folders for a hard surface, his jaw tightening after every single problem. Sarah blinked when he snapped one of the pencils, grabbing another and holding it out. Vance pulled it from her grasp and went back to writing.

She'd caught on by now that he didn't like her watching him while he worked, last time that happened he threatened to beat her with the history book. Sarah pretended to keep busy by drawing little flowers and different shapes hearts on a sheet of paper in her note book. After ten minutes, he threw the folder at her. Lucky, the paper on top stayed with it. Sarah put her notebook down and pulled out a red pen. "Are you left handed?"