Untitled Part 5

Cora had a big appetite the next morning and she was more excited than she had been. Harold came in giving her a side way glance. "The Duke of Winchester asked after you " He said . " He'd like to take you out for dinner soon."

Martha smiled. "That sounds lovely. You must answer him after breakfast"

Cora sighed. "Mother I can't! I'm engaged, remember?"

Harold was mad. "What??? What was the point of me pandering to the Duke if she was engaged?"

"I didn't know I was going to be engaged last night," Cora said and I never asked you to pander to the Duke! I don't even like the man!"

All three looked at Martha. "I didn't think it would hurt for Harold to give the Duke information about you, dear. Besides a Duke ranks higher than an Earl."

"Give him information?" She cried. "Mother I don't want that uncouth man knowing anything about me! I'm in love with Robert, don't you understand?"

Martha snatched the letter from Cora's hand and left the room in a huff.

Cora was quiet the rest of the day until the last post when she received another letter, this one from Robert asking her to dinner the next evening as well.

Martha sat beside her on the settee, taking her hand. I am sorry, my darling. I wanted to give you some time to think so i replied to the Duke for you. He will pick you up at 6:30 tomorrow evening per his letter. I confirmed it."

"I suppose you'll have to go in my place," Cora said. "Robert is taking me to  dinner tomorrow and he's picking me up at 6."

"No! You will go out with the Duke and you will return that ring to Mr. Crawley! I will not have my daughter's money go to someone I do not approve of!"

"It's too late! I will not back out! I love him and he loves me! We will be married! Goodness, Mother! this whole thing was your idea! you said I could choose the man i loved. was that just a lie? Why don't you marry the Duke if you want a title so bad?"Cora stood up, yelling. "I'll have a tray in my room!"

Isidor frowned. "Martha what is wrong with you?"

"I didn't know she was so serious about that Crawley man.

"you couldn't tell last night? The way they looked at one another? How excited she was in the carriage on the way home?"

"But his mother..."

"is no longer with us and his father adores Cora. I believe she'll be well taken care of. In fact, I know it!"

++++++

Cora smiled up at Robert as he pulled the chair out for her. She broke down and wrote to the Duke since it was clear her mother refused to do. She apologized for the misunderstanding and explained she had accepted someone else's' proposal. What she didn't expect was that he would end up at the restaurant they were towards the end of the meal. He came over, clearly drunk and pulled Robert up by his lapels. "So you're the reason this slut cancelled on me, eh Crawley?"

"Your Grace!" Cora gasped. He let go of Robert then turned to glare at her! "How dare you agree to see me then cancel!" "It was my mother! I am sorry, I wanted to tell you that I was spoken for." The Duke was not having it. He hit Cora across the face, knocking her from the chair. Robert angrily grabbed him and punched the man, knocking him out. When he did an applause erupted through the restaurant. Taking a breath, Robert looked over to see a few people helping Cora to her feet. She seemed a little dizzy, but otherwise fine.

++++++

Robert helped Cora to a bench in the park. Her head hurt too much to finish dinner so he suggested try get some air. He knelt in front of her. brushing a strand of hair that came loose from the up-do. She trembled so he shrugged off his coat and placed it over her shoulders. "Are you alright, Cor?" he asked. "Are you sure you don't want to go home?" She shook her head. "No... Just hold me." Robert sat down and complied and she laid her head on his shoulder feeling at peace.