Untitled part

Robert Crawley looked around the ball room. Most of the women who showed any interest were empty headed and wouldn't know the first thing about being a Countess. At least two of them were chosen by his mother. He hoped she'd would at least find someone he could have something in common with. Robert looked up when a murmur passed through the room. Everyone was looking up at a new arrival.

"Robert?" He heard someone say,patting his shoulder. He blinked, pulling his gaze from the beautiful creature coming down the stairs. She had beautiful chocolate colored hair and was wearing a stunning white dress that sparkled . Her smile lit up the room.

Rosamund, Robert's sisters smirked. She knew he'd be interested in her new friend. Rosamund met Cora Levinson at the luncheon in Bayswater. She is sweet and seemed very knowledgeable. Perfect for a future Countess of Grantham. Mama would agree except that the girl was from America.

"Rosamund, what are you doing?" He asked when she grabbed his hand and pulled him to Cora.

She grinned when she saw the blush on her brother's face as they got closer. "I want you to meet my friend," she said, stopping in front of Cora. The young woman smiled at Rosamund and Robert wondered at how her blur eyes danced in amusement. "Hello, Ros!" She said. Robert realized she was American and that meant his father would be pleased , but Mama would not. She didn't like one thing about America even though one of these heiresses could save Downton from ruin.

Cora looked up at the young man with her friend. He was very handsome and had beautiful blue eyes. Rosamund chuckled. "Miss Cora Levinson, May I introduce my brother, Robert Crawley?"

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Crawley."

"The pleasure is all mine, Miss Levinson," he said, shaking her hand. It was soft and delicate just like her. He didn't believe in love at first sight, but at the moment he could almost understand that it could happen.

he blinked again when Rosamund bumped into his side. "I do apologize," he said, but may I have this dance?" Cora smiled widely. "Yes, of course, I love to waltz."

Rosamund watched her new friend and older brother dance the waltz. She saw jealous women and men watching them spin perfectly around the room. "Rosamund." She turned to see Mama. "Just who is that young woman Robert is dancing with. She smiled. "Isn't she lovely, Mama? It's Miss Levinson!"

Martha glared at Rosamund. "Pull them apart at once!"

"What?"

"If you don't, I will!"

"But why?" Rosamund asked. "They like each other and Cora is perfect for him!"

"Not that American!" She exclaimed.

Before Rosamund could stop her, Violet made a beeline for Cora and yanked her by her hand pulling her away from Robert. "Mama!" He cried.

"What... Why did you do that?" Cora asked her, tears stinging her eyes. How humiliating! Violet stood tall, looking around the ball room. "My fellow Lords and Ladies, keep away from this Pariah! She only wants one thing and that is a title. She will not love your sons, she will drag your family into the gutter!"

Lady Helena grinned in a far dark corner! She knew she would impress the Countess of Grantham and the title would be hers one day.

Isidor went to Cora's side and took her hand, glaring at Violet. He told Martha he'd been against this and now Cora had been humiliated. The young man she was dancing with looked apologetic as he handed Isidor his card, whispering. "Please."

+++++

Robert was sullen and quiet on the way home. Rosamund felt the same and Patrick was livid. "How could you do such a thing to that poor girl, Violet and your son. Her seeking a title is no different than we seeking her money! She's not the only one to step into that ballroom just for a title. You've not only ruined her chances but Robert's as well!