Blood

I stood outside and watched the troops leave, my heart heavy. My eyes found Glenstorm, and the feeling intensified. He had relatives, unlike me, who were forced to fight; His wife, and his sons. My eyes found those of another faun, and I recognized the terror in them. I briefly wondered if we shared the same past. 

I stayed there until I couldn't see them anymore, then I went inside, shivering. I had an awful feeling about this whole operation. 

I went to the Sacred table, and there I found King Edmund, looking at the mural of Aslan. I eyed the Great Lion, not able to shake off the impression that his gaze was worried, not full of wisdom like most people thought. 

"He didn't want you to come, did he?" the King asked.

I sighed "No. The real reason behind it still escapes me." I approached the Table and skimmed my finger on it. 

"Have you considered the eventuality that he actually cares?" the King chuckled.

I chuckled too, amused at the fact that he was shamelessly admitting that he eavesdropped on our conversation. I brought my finger back to before my eyes.

"You know, "I said, ignoring his question, "this place used to be always dusty. It feels weird to see it so busy all the time. It feels... wrong, actually."

He didn't seem to mind the change of subject and nodded "This is a sacred place. Horrible things happened at this exact place, it would be expected to have a minimum of respect for it. Instead, this place is used to argue over things we are powerless about."

As he finished talking, Queen Lucy entered the room "Edmund? The griffons are ready."

The King stayed for a moment, looking expectantly at me, but I ignored his gaze. Finally, he left but stopped right before he was out of earshot. 

I heard him sight "Are you coming or not?" 

A grin broke on my face.

- - - - - - - - - -

Edmund landed on the tower's roof with a slight thud, while I stayed on the griffon's back, whispering in his ear what to do next. I grinned as the guard was swiped off his feet and into the air by my mount, then swung off into the darkness of the below.

I asked the griffon to make me land on the west tower, and he obliged. As soon as my hooves touched the ground, my swords were out and slashing at the throat of the guard. I caught his body just before it touched the ground, and lowered it slowly, careful not to make a sound. I searched his body for his keys and grabbed them, bolting for the door. Once it was open, I ran down the stairs.

The way to the dungeons was uneventful, with only some guards once in a while. But once I arrived there, I bumped into a familiar chest, making us both fall to the ground.

I was up on my feet in a second, swords pointed at the neck of the man. Then, confusion took over me.

"Caspian? What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be in the dungeon, it's not part of the plan!" I exclaimed, lowering my swords.

"Not part of the plan?" He responded, getting up "You're not part of the plan! I told you to stay at the How, what are you doing here?"

"Family business," I said, running to the first door.

I searched for the right key, which woke up the faun inside and unlocked the door. The old woman looked at me with shocked eyes, probably having memories of me resurfacing. 

I smiled "Hi Menna, I told you I would come back." She hastily got up and hugged me "Yes, I know, but it's not the time. I know your bones are old, but there is a war outside. Get your weapons and free yourself."