𝖎𝖎. ❛A TOAST TO ANEW ❜

Start from the beginning

Chisato flashed her sister a smile upon hearing her words. "Well... I think it's cute regardless. I never thought of you as someone who would bother with romance, so seeing you worry over the prospect of marriage is... certainly something different."

Chisato watched her sister huff and scoff at her words, covering her face as she drank the tea with a flushed expression. Setting the ceramic down, her eyes trailed to the ceremonial tea set placed before her, staring at the intricate details with a critical eye.

Chisato noted this before speaking up. "This was gifted by the Commissioner, was it not?"

Her sister grimaced, lips pulled into a frown. "It is... Lady Ayaka had delivered it to me personally the day following the announcement. She said that the Commissioner had picked it out for me."

"Rather kind of her to make the delivery personally. It means at the very least, she is welcoming of you. I've always liked Lady Ayaka, she would make a lovely sister-in-law." Chisato laughed softly, holding the cup up to her eye level. "Mm, the Commissioner has wonderful taste in decorum. He seems to know your taste particularly well."

That's the thing, isn't it? The Heir kept her thoughts to herself. He knows everything about me... Yet he is as elusive as a ghost.

Perhaps Chisato and Tomoka were right to criticize her overthinking. The potential marriage between Kamisato Ayato and her would be nothing more than a circumstantial benefit for the two of them. So why was she so pressed about this relationship between them?

"Perhaps you're right... I am overthinking this." The Heir said quietly, watching as the pool of warm tea reflected her expression of disconcerting back at her.

THE DAYS FOLLOWING the complicated conversation with Chisato, the Heir found herself busier than ever. Inheriting the position was not as easy as reinstating a position - the duties that came with it (along with her former position as 'Overseer of Commerce and Immigration' which mostly entailed more paperwork if anything) was entirely something she had not previously been used, having been pushed to the side of family affairs.

One of Chisato's former duties, she had to deal with the copious amount of complaints within the Hiiragi household from distant relatives who held onto some sliver of authority; that oh-so-fun duty now passed onto the now-Heir of the family. Having to listen to the complaints of her family was one thing - having to hear the criticisms of her ascension was another. Many within the Hiiragi Clan disagreed with Chisato's decision to instate her half-sister as head of the clan - some had theorized this to be a deliberate move on the now-Heir's part, and now it is believed that she had also somehow coerced the honorable Yashiro Commissioner into a marriage!

Of course, for the Heir, all of this was technically not deliberate but it had simply worked itself out for her sake. It would seem her luck would finally be turning around after all these years of waiting.

But of course, life is never as easy as one would hope it to be.

Meetings atop meetings. Paperwork atop paperwork. It seemed that the work never seemed to stop... Just how was Chisato handling everything by herself so well?

Atop of this, she now had to worry about the prospect of marriage and though discussions seems to be going fine; the thought continued to nag her endlessly as in the case that this deal between her and the Yashiro Commissioner did fall through - she had no alternative. She needed this deal to work.

The Heir let out a languid sigh, rubbing the side of her head as she finished the final stack of paperwork of the day. Setting aside her brush pen, she finally breathed out all of the pent-up frustration of the day.