𝖎𝖎. ❛ KING'S PAWN OPENING ❜

for sweetest things turns sourest by their deeds

❝ for sweetest things turns sourest by their deeds ❞

_______________

THE TEA WENT cold and untouched the longer Kamisato Ayato sat there, pondering through the exchange the previous day. Since the moment his eyes fell upon the Hiiragi's failed heir, he couldn't stop thinking about how sharp her remarks were, how she perfectly deduced his character in mere moments of interaction, or how she captivated him in such short time; madness, it was utter madness how she was capable to capture him in her web.

Or perhaps, Kamisato Ayato enjoyed himself a challenge when it came to difficult people.

"Brother? You seem... rather distracted as of late. Did something happen on your trip to Ritou?"

Ah... Ever observant and intelligent, his dear sister was able to pick up on his shift in demeanor. Perhaps there was no need to conceal this exchange, it was his sister after all.

Perhaps... Ayaka would have an inkling as to what was happening to him and how best to deal with this hindrance.

Ayato cleared his throat as he sat upright, bringing his hands to his lap as he opened his eyes to see his concerned sister sitting across from him.

"Lord (y/n) of the Hiiragi clan, the heir presumptive. What do you know about her?"

Ayaka's expression morphed into one of confusion at her brother's inquiry. "I... am not well acquainted with her but from what I know... she is... of interesting character. Lord (y/n)'s preference for male titles made her a controversial topic a while back. She opted to use her given name as opposed to her mother's... Not to mention, her debut in the scenes of minor political affairs as of late has some people pondering the possibilities of the Hiiragi Clan's possible fall from grace."

It would seem that even in the eyes of the public, the heir presumptive was unlikely to win the seat of Head of the Hiiragi Clan without sufficient support. Surely, someone as brilliant as she had a plan to combat this, right?

"Brother, are you..." Ayaka's voice trailed off as she noticed the state of deep thought her elder brother was presently in. She stared quietly and decided that perhaps it was best to refill the tea whilst he was thinking to himself.

"Thoma?"

"Yes, my lady?" Ever faithful, Thoma came at Ayaka's beckoning at an instant. She gestured to the now-cold tea on the table and nodded. The retainer of the Kamisato Clan knew immediately, and collected the cooled ceramics to refill them with a new pot of freshly brewed tea.

Ayaka turned back to her brother, observing the solemn expression etched into his handsome features as he stared at the parchment in front of him (that had long been forgotten at this point).

"Ehm..." She cleared her throat, capturing Ayato's attention immediately as she continued her question from earlier. "Brother... Why do you ask about Lord (y/n)...?"