xix. at the three broomsticks

Start from the beginning

"It's a cellular phone. People my age in our world have it. We can do a lot of things with it and one of them is to take videos."

Regulus nodded in understanding. Callie tapped the play button on the surface of the screen and a video of Sirius sitting on a bean bag in the Gryffindor common room played. Remus and Peter were seen in the frame.

He had a small curve on his lips. It wasn't big yet it looked adoring. He was cosy on the bag as if shy and yet proud.

"He was an incredible seeker even as a kid," Sirius said in the video, pertaining to his younger brother. "I remember, we were playing hide and seek in... that house. We weren't just playing in one room, we were running around the house. Just the two of us."

A smile unknowingly crawled upon Regulus's lips remembering the memory he was pertaining. But it soon crumbled down when he realised what would happen next.

"We were happy. Too happy even that I reckon it reached the happiness we didn't deserve."

Regulus swallowed, remembering the memory.

"He found me where I was hidden. In an old dumbwaiter that the family never used. It was extremely hidden so I didn't know how he found me. At that moment I already knew he'd make a great seeker. And I wasn't wrong. Look at him now, greatest seeker in Hogwarts, paring with no one."

"Hey give our seeker some credit!" James said off the frame.

"Okay, fine. Susanne is good but Reg is better!"

Regulus chuckled which made a curve appear on Callie's lips. There was a swelling pride in her to know that Sirius who had no idea he was being filmed made his younger brother laugh lightly at the very least.

"What happened next?" Peter urged.

The smile Sirius had slowly fell. Bitterness glistened in his eyes.

Regulus felt his pain. Even if he was just watching his brother tell a story, he couldn't help but go back to the time it happened.

"It was my turn to catch him. But he was incredibly fast. So fast I couldn't reach him before he hit mother's vase. It fell and shattered into pieces. She found out what happened to her vase; she called us to confess."

All their faces fell upon having assumptions about what happened next. Knowing what kind of "mother" Sirius and Regulus had, they were worried for the two despite his story being a history.

The video ended and Callie took back her cellphone, putting it on top of her thighs. Guilt was eating her after making Regulus remember such a cruel night.

She didn't mean to! Callie was just hoping to make Regulus realise his brother's love. And that was the only video she managed to take to fulfil her promise to him.

"She scolded us," he spoke, making her tilt her head up to him. "Forced us to confess. I was too scared to admit it. I knew what mother would do once she found out the culprit. She threatened that if we wouldn't speak, she'd cut off our tongues. So, I opened my mouth to spill what I did. But Sirius just had to save the day."

"It was me, mother. I broke your vase." It was still fresh in Regulus's mind how his brother took the blame that was for him as if it happened just last night.