xii. Christmas break

For the next week, they all laid low and did not mind the diadem for a while. Callie was persistent to retrieve it as soon as they could but they tried to convince her to heal her ankle before coming back in action. Fortunately, she agreed after a few pushes.

Callie realised that she wouldn't be able to help them if she couldn't walk. She couldn't force her foot either or else she might not be able to walk ever again. Regulus said it would take only two weeks to heal. Callie convinced herself that it wasn't that long but failed miserably in every attempt.

The five kept visiting her from time to time, as usual, even Regulus who she least expected to. Although the young Black would only show up alone and separately from the Marauders. The seventh-year wizards kept bringing her meals as they had done before. Remus also taught Callie some spells, both for defence and offence after she revealed that she could cast a spell.

When Remus wasn't teaching her, they would talk about everything. The Marauders were usually the talker and Callie was the listener. She liked hearing about their adventures since they stepped foot in Hogwarts, their mischiefs, and James' adventure to get the heart of Lily Evans. Basically everything.

Callie enjoyed it so much that her heart was just filled with joy and warmth. She felt lucky to be there and be with her comfort characters in a world she never thought existed.

She rarely used her phone throughout the days or else it would die. She had no charger nor was there any electric outlet in Hogwarts.

To keep herself entertained while the Marauders were in class, Callie read. No, the boys did not give her any books, it was Regulus.

He let her borrow some of his books. He said she could read them in case the boredom got the best of her. There were also times when he played the piano when they were alone. She had no idea what the songs were until he told her their titles. To her surprise, those were muggle classical songs. Why was she surprised anyway? She had expected Regulus to love such music.

Callie never expected Regulus to visit. She thought that the day when he brought her dinner would be the last time she'd see him before he gives her the diary and Bellatrix's hair. But alas, he kept coming and their conversations kept getting longer. Was Callie complaining? Heck no! That was Regulus Black! Why would she complain?!

Regulus' book sizes differ from one another. There were thicker ones and more than an inch thick. Callie was surprised to know that those books were muggle books. She wanted to ask Regulus about it and the muggle songs but she hesitated and further decided not to.

The next week was Christmas break. Worry struck Callie when she realised that she would spend the two-week break alone as the Marauders had to go home. But even before she could express her concern, the four boys happily announced to her that they would be staying at Hogwarts to keep her company.

Callie tried to stop the welling tears from falling but she failed (miserably), sobbing hard like a baby while trying to explain to the boys that she just felt so glad and loved by the fictional people she always held dear in her heart. That they chose a Christmas without their family over a Christmas with a stranger.

Was she dramatic? Definitely. But it's fine to be a cry baby sometimes.

James and Remus comforted her whilst Sirius laughed at her and Peter could only offer her a biscuit he was munching. It only resulted in more tears.

A few days passed and that day was the start of Christmas break for the Hogwarts students.

Callie sat on the floor beside her bed, reading the book Regulus lend her. Her knees were up and her hands were in between them and her body. She was silently reading as the boys were out. She was so focused that she did not realise a certain Black was standing by the door, leaning against the doorframe.