𝟒𝟒. the return to the prison

Start from the beginning

"No. That's right. You went back for Daryl," Glenn said, averting his gaze away from the ground and up to Rick and Zayn, now seeing the certain emotion in his eyes. "And now he's gone again and the Governor is still alive." Glenn scrunched up his face on the word 'Governor'.

"Glenn, Daryl was the whole reason we went back in the first place," Zayn said. "We didn't have any plans on killing the Governor. We also didn't plan for Merle to come back with us."

"I should have been there with you," Glenn muttered, barely above a whisper.

"You were in no condition," Rick stated simply, squinting his eyes at the Rhee. Zayn and Rick shared a glance, both agreeing that he couldn't have come with them.

Glenn's brows deepened. "But my girlfriend was?!" He raised his voice, pointing over to Kloe. "She was tortured just like I was, but she had worse than me."

"Glenn, you passed out the second they got us here. This isn't about us," Kloe spoke up, making him scoff.

"I should have been there," he growled, gritting his teeth. Zayn stared into the air, his mind lingering over Glenn's words of 'Kloe having it worse'. He looked over his shoulder to look at her and furrowed his brows at his sister.

"Hey, hey, Kloe is right. You didn't come back with us 'cause you could barely walk and you passed out," Rick retorted.

"What about her?" Glenn pointed at his girlfriend, who crossed her arms over her chest.

"Hey, my leg is not as bad as it seems. Sure, it was cut open twice, but Glenn you were being beaten for a solid fifteen minutes," Kloe reasoned, glaring at him.

Glenn looked away from her and faced Rick again. "Sure, you know what Merle did. But I'm not talking about her leg or Merle. Do you know what he did to her?!"

"Glenn, stop," Kloe said loudly in a warning tone.

"Do you know?! Why do you think she has my shirt on?!" He continued, glaring straight across at Rick and Zayn, who both looked back and forth between him and his girlfriend.

"It doesn't matter, Glenn! Leave it!" She yelled, pressing both of her hands on the side of her head before placing them back down onto the car, staring into the air. Everyone stared at her, confused on what Glenn was getting at. "What the Governor did to me doesn't matter. It's not serious. Let's go."

Glenn breathed heavily, turning around so his back was facing the group as he tried to calm himself down. He turned back to Rick, seeing that Zayn was staring at his sister. "After all that effort, all the risk we took, Daryl just takes off with Merle?"

"Well, he had his reasons," Rick responded, defending the man that left them.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, Rick," he snapped. "Doesn't change the fact that we're up to our necks in shit."

"You want me to turn the car around, beg him to come back?" Rick asked sarcastically. "Throw down a welcome mat for Merle. This is a hand we've been dealt!" He shouted in Glenn's face.

Maggie, who was rubbing Kloe's shoulder comfortingly, looked up at the two men that were glaring at each other. "Let's just get this out of here and get back. Get some rest. We can all talk about it later."

Glenn looked between everyone, who were all watching him except for Kloe, who was staring into space. "No, you guys do all the talking you want. I'm done."

And with that, he walked away from them. Kloe let out a shaky breath, swallowing thickly as she glanced up at Glenn walking away. Zayn watched his best friend storm off as Rick stepped over to Kloe and Maggie, stopping beside them.