Labocania

INFORMATION

Name Meaning: From the Bocana.

Period: Upper Cretaceous (approximately 73 million years).

Length: 5,9 meters.

Height: 2,1 meters.

Weight: 340 kilograms.

Diet: Carnivore.

Labocania anomala is the only known species of the extinct genus Labocania of theropod dinosaur, probably tyrannosauroid, which lived in the late Late Cretaceous period, approximately 73 million years ago, in the Campaniense, in what is now North America.

Labocania was quite similar to the Tyrannosaurus. This animal lived further south than other tyrannosaurs of its time, such as Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus. It lived in Baja California, Mexico.

Although its exact size is difficult to establish, Labocania was probably a medium-sized carnivore, about six meters long and its weight is still under debate, but it is estimated that it could have weighed 340 kilograms.

Currently, only fragmentary remains of this dinosaur have been found, so it is not known if it is a new species or one that has already been described. For the moment, this genus still remains valid, but despite this it is still very interesting that there are tyrannosaurids in Mexico.

IN JURASSIC WORLD

Length: 7 meters.

Height: 2,5 meters.

Weight: 1,5 tons.

Diet: Carnivore (Scavenger).

Aggressiveness: 🔵 Calm.

From the beginning it was not planned to clone this species for Jurassic World because there was no information for the development of its DNA chain. This is due to the fact that being a species little investigated in the world of paleontology, there was not much information.

But all this changed when a group of researchers from the park went on a trip to northern Mexico to investigate the Bocana formation in Baja California. The research processes had very little progress until during an excavation a unique piece of amber was found that contained a kind of well-preserved plumage along with giant fleas that are believed to be ticks. When the piece of amber was analyzed, it was verified that the plumage belonged to a species of dinosaur. When the amber piece was taken to the Jurassic World laboratories, the scientists revealed that the piece contained very well-preserved DNA chains thanks to the ticks that were in the amber piece, and it ended up proving that the DNA belonged to a species of tyrannosaurid, this ended up confirming that the species to which the DNA belonged was Labocania, which was a species of dinosaur discovered in that formation of the country.