Innocent Blood (chapter 12)

Chapter 12

      My head felt heavy and all sounds seemed far away and tinny. I slumped against the back of the chaise, almost slipping right off. Asteria stood over me, she was close to my face, speaking to me but I couldn't make sense of what she was saying. A scent filled my head, like the smell that sometimes follows autumn rain, earthy and sort of musky. My senses were coming back to me and I focused on Asteria's emerald eyes, which now that I was looking close, were flecked with gold. Her hand was on my forehead, I realised when I tried to pull myself into a sitting position, again it seemed that her touch was helping to steady my state. "Haven't ate", was all I heard her say as she helped me to my feet. She didn't exactly carry me, but she didn't really allow me to take my own weight either. Her arm had wrapped round my back and hooked under my arm. She easily had four inches on top of my five foot three, so my head was level with her shoulder and that's where I let it rest against her.
       Asteria pulled back a chair for me to sit in at the table. I settled into the chair and placed my head in my hands, trying to process this information, Marius had killed my parents. Because he wanted me. It didn't make sense. He could have took blood from me, I wouldn't have told anyone, he didn't have to kill them. My head felt light again as Asteria took a seat beside me, I hadn't even noticed that she had left the room until she had returned. "They are bringing you food. Are you alright?", she asked me.
"He didn't need to kill them, I would have done anything he wanted. He didn't need to touch them", I muttered to her. Just then a woman placed a tray down in front of me, it had on it a bowl of red steaming soup, the smell made my mouth water, and several pieces of bread laid on a plate beside it. "Anything else I can get you miss?", asked the woman. I looked up to answer her, her freckled face looked back at me expectantly. I knew her from this morning, "just some water please", I replied.
"Certainly miss. I've had your dress washed, I'll have it sent to your room".
"Bin it". Freckles looked from me to Asteria, then back to me. "As you wish", she then disappeared through the door she had come from, which was in the corner opposite the one we had come through.
       After Freckles had brought me a jug of ice cold water and a glass, I began to dip into the soup. It really was as good as it smelled and all to soon it was gone. I stared into the empty bowl. "Feel better?", asked Asteria from beside me, she had been so quiet that her voice startled me. Actually I had to admit that I did feel better after the meal. I nodded to her, and leaned back in my chair. "What's going to happen now?", I asked as I stared absently at the high ceiling. She began to answer, but was interrupted when the door opened and several voices filled the room. All of the voices hushed when they saw us in there. Asteria placed her hand over mine and mouthed "don't worry" to me. I looked over the faces that had entered, recognising only two of the seven. Thalia and Alastor, I couldn't help but notice how pretty each of the other strangers were. "Hey you're up", said Alastor, jumping over to me, I flinched and Asteria spoke up. "Alastor, could you please give us some privacy. I will send someone to attend to you". My eyes met Alastor's for only a brief moment, but that was all it took to see the disappointment there. I dropped my eyes to the table for a second then stole a side glance at Alastor, he was looking at Asteria, as if debating whether or not to argue about staying. Looking at him now, in his jeans and loose tee-shirt, his dark shaggy hair stylishly messy, those incredible dark forest eyes, he looked like a regular guy, an exceptionally gorgeous, regular guy.
       The others didn't need further instruction to leave, they all disappeared, only Alastor lingered behind. "Well I'll talk to you later?", he asked me. I didn't want to be rude to him, he didn't deserve it, so I managed to forge a smile and told him, "sure". He tried to hide the broad smile that spread across his face, which made me smile genuinely back at him. At that, he headed out the way the others had gone. "Sorry about that, how do you feel?"
"I think I want some time alone", I told her honestly. She nodded in understanding at me, "come talk to me at any time".
       Alone, back in the room I had woken up in, I had only my own thoughts as company. Over and over again I thought about my poor parents, did they die in the fire or were they killed before it? Did they put up a fight or were they taken unawares? So many things were unanswered and there was no one who could ever provide the answers, except Marius. My blood boiled when I thought of him, that vile creature, how could anyone be so cruel, and Kate, did she know about it? My heart was hurting, shattering behind my ribs all over again. I had grieved for them, but now I felt like I had betrayed them, I had lived with the man who had killed them, who only done so to get to me. I needed them to forgive me, to know how sorry I am.
       The pain was almost unbearable as I doubled up on the floor. My eyes were shut tight and my jaw was clenched. In the months that had followed my parents death, I had often wished for death myself, now, that same feeling was pulling at me again.