CHAPTER | 3

MILES

I couldn't believe that I hadn't understood Megan at all. Though her mood swings had increased drastically after our initial breakup, I thought I could peel all her layers of insecurity to get the Megan I knew and loved. But the fact that I had failed made me step back.

Megan needed time to adjust to the newer change in plans. She wanted to weigh the options and let it sink in... that it wasn't going down the drains. Only when she knew the pros and cons... then alone, she would agree or disagree. One might even call it overthinking, but that was the final draw for my Megan.

How foolish I was to listen to Amber to propose to her without first talking about it? I blamed it all on that one idiot of a bride who had showed me daisies and rainbows when I had started to concoct the idea in my head. If it wasn't for her, I would have taken my sweet time and drawn the details before I did anything like propose. No one would be embarrassed or presenting media statements over this trivial issue.

Then again, I was already in the situation and I had gotten Megan back into a calm posture. Before we took the next step further, I had to make her understand what I had in mind when I said marriage. We weren't like those celebrities who tied knot in winter and then filing divorce come summer. I was happy that she had agreed, of course I was. At the same time, I wanted her to know that this wasn't just a game for me. This was it.

So, I asked her another question which I was sure would put her into another frenzy. Kids.

I loved kids and when I had planned to propose Megan years ago with that Egyptian ring in my pocket, I knew I wanted her to bear my children. Back then, it was a different story. I didn't have to sit through to explain it to her what I expected of her. Ever since I hurt her, she had become more vulnerable to change.

It hurt me more to see her suffer when I knew I was the reason behind those helpless pleas. I had spoken to Gwen the other day regarding the same. Knowing you not only caused a break in your love's heart but also let her guard up isn't an everyday scene. The feeling of failure and not being good enough to be with Megan was the first symptom that told me I needed to see Gwen for myself.

Talking to her helped. If it wasn't for that unfortunate turn of events back then, how was I ever to talk to Megan about the things that we expected out of each other? We were now more vocal about our susceptibilities and Gwen said that it was a good thing. Sure, Megan took more time to come around, but our communication skills had developed like crazy.

I could understand her frightened self when I flew over seas for business. And when we talked about it, she accepted that it was a part of business strategy. When she started meeting clients and having dinner or lunches, I often felt jealous. After we talked about it, it felt like a burden was lifted off my shoulders.

That was the thing about how powerful communication was. Once Gwen had explained this to me, I was more than happy to reach where I was today. Even after all those fights and the terrible time we stayed apart, we had found each other. Wasn't that the best part?

"Kids?" Megan stumbled and fumbled as her coy smile of the previous conversation lingered which was now slowly painting her face a rosy red.

She looked too adorable and I was doing my best not to launch at her the very minute. She had been crying for the past hour or so which made her face redder when compared to her usual pale face. Her eyes, drained of water, looked as blue as the lavenders that she used for decorations last night.

This wonderful woman who stood in front of me with fear, excitement and happiness wanted to spend the rest of her life with me. She would be my wife! Mrs Jackson!