At Home Care - Crockett Marcel

Start from the beginning

    "The morgue, I know", Crockett cut him off.

    "Yeah...", Alex drawled.

    "Sorry if it sounds strange to ask, but who's the woman I always see you with? I've wanted to introduce myself for a while but I normally am getting off of twenty-four-hour shifts and covered in bodily fluids. Not the best first impression material", Crockett said finishing with a small laugh.

    "That's my girlfriend. Y/N", Alex said harshly. He could feel the anger pulsing inside of him. If this Crockett guy pushed anymore he wouldn't know the rage that he would be subjected to.

After their awkward encounter, Alex never mentioned Crockett to you.

But you picked up shifts at a local bar named Molly's where you eventually met a handsome southern man who was a real charmer.

You learned that his name was Crockett Marcel and that he was a surgeon at one of the local hospitals.

Through the conversation, you also learned that you coincidentally lived in the same apartment complex.

And you were shocked to find out that your apartments were actually right across the hall from each other.

He was the exhausted-looking man that you barely saw coming and going.

That night you both exchanged numbers, as neighbors do.

At least that's what you were going to tell Alex the next time he went through your phone and found a new male contact in your contacts list.

But secretly you were hoping that Crockett would text you, just to text you.

And he did.

All the time.

You became amazing friends, in the secret of course.

Always making sure to clear the conversation between the two of you when you were putting your phone down for a while, especially when Alex was home.

This day in particular the autumn air was whipping through the city, picking up the orange and red leaves that hung loosely on the branches of the few trees that could be found in the city.

It was late and you were walking home from your shift at Molly's pulling your jacket tighter than you.

Months ago Alex had convinced you to sell your car because he said that between the two of you only one car was necessary, considering you worked within walking distance to the apartment.

At first, it made sense to you, plus you wanted to avoid an argument.

But that was during summer when it never dipped past 74 degrees.

Now it was 40 degrees and you were freezing.

You had called Alex on your last break before your shift was over and asked him to come and pick you up in two hours when your shift was over, but he said that he had a long shift and just wanted to relax with the boys.

It was just a long way of saying no.

Once you reached the worn-down brick building that sat on the corner of the fourth street you pushed the heavy green door open and instantly embarrassed the warmth of the entryway.

The walk up the six flights of stairs was exhausting, more than usual. But you just blamed it on being exhausted from work.

You had worked your regular everyday job and also picked up a shift at Molly's, it had been a long day.

    "Hey neighbor", a voice broke the conversation that had been playing in her head.

    "Oh hey, Marcel. Didn't see you coming up", Y/N greeted him back, startled.