8

When Will returned to the room, Tory was standing at the window, gazing out at the open roads and fields in the distance. Her arms were folded across her body. "Hey. You're up." She didn't speak or turn around to him. "Uh, you hungry? They've got the best food down there."

She shook her head. "I've lost my appetite."

"Ok." He took his phone out of his pocket and placed it on the nightstand and reached for the pillow on the bed. "I'm exhausted. I didn't have anyone carrying me. I'll sleep in the chair. You can have the bed."

"No thanks. I'm good."

Will looked at her strangely. "You, ok?"

Tory took a moment to answer. "Yeah. I'm ok."

He sat in the chair and placed the pillow at the top. "You sick or something?"

Tory answered coldly. "Or something."

He couldn't take it. "Ok! What is it? What's the problem? Why are you so quiet?"

"That's one thing you should love, right?" she sniffed.

"Are you catching a cold?"

"No!" she screamed.

He stood. "Tory, you're freaking me out here!"

"Good!"

Will caught sight of her face in the moonlight. "Are you... crying?"

Suddenly, Will's phone on the nightstand rang. Will and Tory stared at it strangely. "There must be reception here." He cheered.

"Who could call us? No one knows we're here." Tory watched as he slowly picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Is this William?"

"Yeah. Who's this?"

"William, this is the man who's going to end your life."

A chill went down his spine. Tory saw his eyes filled with fear. "Who is it, Will?"

"Uh, I don't... I don't know what you're talking about." he stammered into the phone.

The voice chuckled evilly. "Let's not play games. You stole my car and threw my money into the street. And you expect me to let all that go?"

"Look, I can explain. It was an accident. A misunderstanding."

"So..." the voice paused. "You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Exactly. So you understand?"

"I understand." He didn't sound sincere. "Fortunately, for you and your girl, I have some other business to attend to, so I'll let you live tonight. But tomorrow... tomorrow you'll pay." He hung up.

"Will, who was on the phone?" Tory asked.

"The man who wants us dead."

She let out a little shriek. "How did he get your phone number? How does he know where we are?" she shouted, panicked.

"I don't know. He must have something of mine that-" he stopped and instantly remembered. "My wallet."

"Oh great! I'm going to die!" she ran her hand through her hair.

"No. We're going to be fine." he stared trying to be calm. "Tomorrow, we'll get an early start and head for the Midnight Hotel."

"What if they call again?"