3. Beleaguered by Beverages

Comenzar desde el principio

Some people got dozens of candygrams from friends, secret admirers, boyfriends, and girlfriends. Some got one or two. Others, like me, have never gotten one. Why? Because you need to have one of the above people in your life to buy you one. And because my only friend was a now an ex-friend with claws, no money, and no opposable thumbs, I had to sit in class and watch all the other students get them while pretending I didn't care.

Maybe with my cute outfit and a little bragging about my successful hack of the sanitation department, Miles might fall in love with me and end my stint of being unkissed and uncandygrammed. For a moment, I allowed myself the image of me sitting in class and opening a candygram from Miles and thanking him with a seductive smile. In this scenario, he snaked his arm around my waist and said something cool, like, "Of course, babe."

Also, he was shirtless and wearing sunglasses.

Look, it was my fantasy, so I got to break the school dress code if I wanted.

Then I snapped back to reality and glanced at each of my parents, both smiling.

Oh, no!

Did my dads send me a Candygram, an act that would have sealed my fate as a social outcast for all eternity?

My mouth turned as dry as paper. The ability to speak abandoned me. So, I raced out of there. Friday the Thirteenth hadn't yet won! I could still accomplish my goals!

Gasping for breath, moments before my body informed me there would be no more running, the Coffin Ridge High, A California Distinguished School entrance sign materialized

Gasping for breath, moments before my body informed me there would be no more running, the Coffin Ridge High, A California Distinguished School entrance sign materialized. I checked my cell. Ninety seconds before the bell! I was going to make it!

Shut up, body, and get me there.

Friday the Thirteenth could suck it!

I was going to be on time.

No yoga.

I would impress Miles with my hacking prowess.

He'd probably ask me to stay after class and help him with his computer homework and then kiss me. Maybe he really would be shirtless. It could happen!

Oh, and while I was dreaming, why not include a cancellation of Candygram Day because of a rat infestation in the storeroom which left all the candy inedible?

I know! Stupid optimism. The absolute worst.

Despite my body having other ideas, I sped up, careened down C Hall (where they put the science classes), and spied the entrance to AP Computer Science, only steps away. A poster of Chip, the Muppet computer expert, was plastered to the door. Our teacher, Miss Piltz, was some kind of weird fangirl. Even in Nerd World, there were different levels of dork, and Miss Piltz? A definite Level 10. She was like a black hole, where anything cool or fashionable died in her gravitational pull. Still, she showed commitment, and I had to admire that.