Chapter 12 - A New Friend

"This is the last one, so hold onto something, Katya, we might be in for a bumpy ride," called Childe from atop the stone mound he stood on, positioned by the device he would be using to take down the final bedrock key.

"Noted. Braced and prepared, sir." Ekaterina crouched, leaning against a boulder to Childe's right, barely visible in the shadow cast by the pre-dawn light with her arms wrapped firmly around it.

Satisfied her position was secure, Childe summoned a blade in preparation to strike. He swung, shooting a beam of light at the bedrock key. It collided with the construct, which stuttered and trembled before crashing to the ground, setting the earth below Childe's feet shaking and trembling. He flattened himself to the ground, grasping a few strands of stray grass that tore from the earth as it quaked underneath him.

Cheek planted against the ground, he watched the golden ribbons of light emerging from the Chasm's centre snake and swirl beneath the crevice's lip, before a blast of light erupted from within with an almighty boom that made his ears feel as though they might burst from within.

The earth stilled.

They'd done it.

"Is that it?" Ekaterina crawled out from her position, eyes fixed on the explosion's epicentre. "Can you get in now?"

Childe pulled himself to his feet, attempting to peer inside, but from his current position it was fruitless. "I hope our diversion squad were doing their job – pheeeew that was loud! But I should be able to get in now, if I've done my research right. Good work, knew I could count on you to get everything prepared."

"In truth, sir, it was the advance squad's work that ensured the devices were set for your arrival; I only arranged the logistics."

"Oh come on, lighten up!" Childe hopped down from the ledge to meet her. "You need to learn to take a compliment, you know?"

Ekaterina scuffed a toe against the ground. "I... well, thank you, sir."

"And how many times do I have to tell you, enough of the 'sir' stuff! Childe's fine."

"Thank you si– Master Childe."

"Much better! Now–" Starting down the dusty pathway, Childe gestured for Ekaterina to follow "–come on, there's a Chasm that needs entering."

*   *   *

The two of them stared into the gaping black hole beneath them. On the way, they'd passed a number of delightful signs bearing welcoming messages such as "Key site: Bedrock Key up ahead. No unauthorized access!" and "Those who damage this structure will invite the personal wrath of the Qixing. All damages will be prosecuted in accordance with the full extent of Liyue's laws".

The Qixing could really work on their marketing; they weren't exactly selling the place.

"I still can't believe it's come to this," said Ekaterina with a sigh. "When the Chasm was sealed, I thought this had been resolved. Not that this was under our remit; the bank wasn't directly under Lord Pulcinella's authority, but we did assist with the logistics at the time."

Childe was unable to prevent an edge creeping into his voice. "What do you know, Katya? It seems I'm the one left in the dark here."

Again.

Ekaterina pulled at her necklace, twisting it in her fingers. "I– my apologies, Master Childe. It was not my intention to withhold information from you. I simply believed you had been briefed on– apologies, that was improper of me."

"Hey, I'm not mad at you, you couldn't have known, right?" Childe pinched his nose, continuing with a softened tone, "But the more I know before I go in, the better. We both want to get these people out if we can."