Kamen Rider Kabuto Part 1

Universe 19710403

Year 2006

Above Earth

On the observation deck, the Doom Slayer raised a brow at what he saw. The typically blue planet was now a sickly brown. Hazarding a guess, something caused all the oceans to evaporate or disappear. Turning to the right, he spotted a structure extending from the planet's surface into space. Whatever humans were left, this thing will supposedly help their survival.

"Despite Earth's current condition, human civilization still exists in pockets. There appears to be a space elevator under construction. Judging by the planet's condition, I assume you wish to know the cause."

The Doom Slayer nodded to Vega and started walking to his workshop to get ready. Unless the people were going to colonize the moon, how else was a space elevator going to help them? Perhaps when all is said and done and if the surviving people aren't savages, he might give them a parting gift Vega learned about from Universe 19970930.

"Preliminary visuals indicate a large impact crater off the coast of the South American continent. Current information points to an asteroid as the cause of this Earth's cataclysm."

Raising the gem on his gauntlet, the Doom Slayer met a yellow glow. The origin may have changed, but humanity was still under threat. After restocking his warp pack, he made his way to the portal gateway.

"Long-range scanners located a large concentration of tachyon energy near the impact crater. I recommend starting our investigation there."

The Marine rechecked his Doom Blade and shoulder mounts before stretching his arm.

"Opening the portal now."

The blue gateway appeared, and the ex-soldier stepped through.

Earth

Ground Zero

Heavy boots touched down on the glassed surface. Due to the intense heat of the asteroid, the former sea floor melted into what it is now. Evaluating the shape of the landscape, the Slayer could estimate the direction of his objective. Wasting no time, he sprinted forward.

He ran for a few minutes, coming across larger fragments of the predicted meteor. From what his HUD displayed, the extra-terrestrial rock was not the source. He could see the edges of the impact crater over the horizon. With every step, his instincts told him he had been watched for a while. Whoever it was, they were being cautious. Smart of them to do so.

After crossing another hill, he slowed down. A group of people was seemingly passed out on the ground about a hundred meters ahead of him. An abandoned vehicle was left nearby. Scouring his vicinity, there was no one else around. Hell, there didn't seem to be any sign of people since he arrived. This reeked of a trap, but the Slayer paid no mind. If you want the enemy to appear, spring the trap on your terms.

Firm steps made their way to the supposed helpless humans. So far, nothing has happened. Examining the bodies, they looked human. He nudged a woman's arm with his boot, causing a groan to escape her lips. As if on cue, one by one, they awakened from unconsciousness. A few rolled over, opening their eyes to the man before them. A young man crawled against the sand up to the armored man. "Please! Please! You have to help us. We barely escaped, but the Worms will be after us!"

The Slayer gave him a dry look from under his visor. '... Worms?'

Just as the man placed a hand on the Slayer's armor, his helmet's HUD reacted and adjusted. The world around him turned shades of red, orange, and yellow. However, the people around him were depicted as shades of blue. Vega spoke in his helmet. "Slayer, be advised. The beings in front of you are cold-blooded."