Hunting & Battle Tactics

Hunting Techniques:

Hunter's Crouch - Keep your body low with your tail sticking straight ahead. Hind legs must be ready to leap and front paws must be ready to pounce. Is also a good fighting technique.

Fishing Catch - When fishing in a lake or river, keep your reflection away from the water. When the fish comes, quickly hook your paw into the water and scoop the fish onto the surface. Finish it off with a quick killing bit.

Squirrel Race - When the squirrel runs up a tree to escape, you quickly run up the trunk beside the squirrel until your fast enough to block it to the top of the tree. You chase it down next and hopefully catch it. Very complicated technique. Remember not to get too down on yourself if it doesn't work!

Bird Leap - When the bird is aware that it is being hunted and begins to fly up, you leap as high as you can and bat the bird back down. Recommended for older apprentices to learn.

Mouse Stalker - Keep your paw-steps light on the ground and try to slide them so the mouse won't feel your paw-steps.

Rabbit Fishing - A technique when you are desperate for prey. Find a rabbit hole and make sure a rabbit's in there. Then, wait silently until rabbit's head pops out. Scoop it out like you are fishing, and hopefully catch it. Remember not to get too down on yourself if it doesn't work!

***

Battle Tactics:

Approach from behind your enemy - The advantage is gaining the higher ground is that you can charge at greater speed at the enemy, who will be weakened by having to fight uphill.

Know were the wind is coming from - If there is a strong wind, it should be blowing from behind you toward the enemy, blinding them with dust and holding them back like a current of a river. If you wish to preserve the element of surprise, the wind should blow from the enemy position toward you so your scent is carried away from them.

Conceal the size of your force - The number of cats in your battle patrols can be hidden to confuse the enemy from a distance. Cats packed tightly together will appear as a small attacking force, encouraging the enemy to be over confidant and make poor strategic decisions. Alternatively, is cats are spread out in signal file, they will look like a solid border of warriors, which will seem impenetrable to an advancing enemy.

Attack from both ends of the enemy first - If both ends of the enemy line are defeated, the cats in the center of the line will have to fight the two fronts. Even if they are outnumbered, the will be out flanked, vulnerable, and in disarray.

Keep fresh warriors in reserve - Always have adequate reserves of fresh, fit warriors behind the battle line. They will be able to replace injured warriors, launch a separate attack if the enemy tries to encircle your forces, or fend off a surprise enemy from the rear. If the battle is in your favor, finish it by sending your reserve warriors behind the enemy line to surround them and demand surrender.

***

Water Combat:

Double-Front-Paw - Splashes water into the face of the enemy.

Underwater Leg Sweep (Front of Hind) - The opponent will not see it coming under the water so won't have a chance to brace himself before losing his balance.

Push-Down and Release - Almost all cats panic if they are submerged, while some Clan cats know how to hold their breath underwater. If you're fighting a Clan cat who is good with water, get them under by surprise, then they most likely wouldn't be able to hold their breath. This move can be used to secure a victory, because it's most likely to make the opponent surrender.

Tail Splash - Temporarily blinds opponent by flicking water in his eyes.

Underwater Push-Off - Crouching and erupting out of the water into opponents, using surprise and impact to knock him off balance.

***

Above-Ground Combat:

The Leaf-Crusher - Landing with all four feet on top of an opponent, flattening him like a leaf.

The Flick-Over - Landing with front paws outstretched to sweep the opponent off his feet and roll him onto his back.

The Kick - Kicking down hard as the warrior nears the ground, then using momentum from landing to spring away before the opponent can retaliate.

The Trunk Swing - Sliding down the trunk and springing off at head height, using hind legs to push off and clear opponents.

The Reverse Climb - Climbing backward up the trunk as the opponent advances to gain advantage of height; often followed by Trunk Swing.

***

How to Surprise an Opponent:

-> Move quietly and communicate using tail-signals. Cracking twigs, startling birds, and rustling bracken will tell the enemy exactly where you are.

-> Keep downwind of the trespassers so that your scent doesn't give you away.

Look for freshly broken twigs, overturned leaves on the forest floor, remains of prey, or a clump of fur caught on a bramble. Any animal that moves through the forest leaves behind signs that it's passed - and signs like this could lead you straight to the invaders.

-> Keep your mouth open to search for unfamiliar scents. Be careful: If there is scent when there is no breeze to carry it through the forest, it could mean that your enemy is very close by.

-> Light-colored pelts are easily seen against brown and green foliage, so stay in the thickest cover.

-> Keep low - the enemy will be looking for movement at normal head height, not close to the ground.

-> Never miss an opportunity to perfect your tracking ability. In the nursery, kits sneak up on their mothers and pounce with their moss-soft paws. Apprentices leap out on one another from behind bushes and tree stumps. These are more than just games. One day, these skills could save your life and defend your Clan.