Chapter 32

𝟻. 𝙰𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

     New people joined the Jets all of the time, but they had to get past Riff and Ice to do it. Someone who'd been trying for a very long time was Anybodys. He was a difficult sort of person, but not in a bad way.

     He just wanted to apart of the group. But Riff wasn't into it. Not because he had anything against the boy, because he didn't, Rose knew it as a fact. It was only because Tony favoured him- and Riff was still a little bitter.

     The Lorton boy had been kinder recently to Tony as he'd been settling back in. Maybe he was just sweetening him up in case of a rumble. The Puerto Rican's we're making it look like a possibility.

     But that's not the point.

     There was a young boy, no older than fifteen, who had started to follow everyone around. Riff had agreed quite early on that he'd been a good asset, and thus named him 'Baby John'.

     Naturally, Rose had taken him under her wing. He was just so small, and though willing, he was frightened.

     Just like she had been.

𝟷𝟶. 𝙰𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

There were some days that never felt like they would arrive. Some things felt impossible, and then after meeting Riff, everything seemed possible again.

Rose had been opened to a whole new world of opportunities and she was so very grateful. But nothing could prepare her for this sight.

He was on one knee.

A handmade ring in his hand. Thin and wiry. Three or four pieces intertwined together.

It was a ridiculous notion- but it was so brilliant at the same time.

Her hands clutched her face, tears brimming her eyes. "Riff..."

"I know you never wanted to get married..." the Lorton boy trailed, finding it hard to look her in the eyes. "But I don't think I could go much longer without asking you, lil' darlin'."

Rose half-chuckled, half-sighed. She didn't know how to say it. "I-"

"I want to spend my life with you, Rosie. There could never be anyone else. It's only ever been you. So, Miss Rose Annabelle Everly, would you do me the honour of maybe thinking of becoming Mrs Rosie Lorton?"

Tears spilled from her eyes. She was crying, but for once, she didn't mind. "Yes."

𝟷𝟾. 𝙰𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

     It wasn't how Rose had expected the day to go, but if it had turned out any different, she would have been upset. Now, everything had changed.

     A shotgun wedding, no real dress or cake, but everyone she ever loved beside her, it was enough. She was no longer an Everly, but she didn't seem to care.

     Riff was on her arm, and she was grinning from ear to ear. Mrs Lorton, Mrs Rose Lorton, it had a nice ring to it. Didn't it?

     "Just so you know, us being married doesn't mean that you have any control over me." Rose said, as they fumbled their way down the street. She tried to talk over the noise of the Jets, who were scattered around them.

     The streets were theirs today!

     Riff chuckled, smiling. "You think I had control anyway?"

  "No." She hummed, causing them both to laugh. "Just incase you had any ideas."

     For once, Rose felt at peace with the world, and herself. Perhaps that was all she would ever feel for the rest of her life. And if it was, she wouldn't have been upset.

     Everything seemed right.

• - - •
652
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own West Side Story or the characters originally from the book, play, or musical. I do not own Riff, or any events from the 2021 film that this book is based off. However, I do own Rose, her friends, family, and her relationship with Riff prior to the film.
All of this is purely fictional, anything that relates to real life is purely coincidence.