Chapter 13

𝟸𝟷. 𝙰𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

Stars were such a beautiful thing. Though they were just creations of gas that burned at thousands of degrees Celsius, there was something about them that beheld intrigue.

     Space was a thing so vast, and so dark, and so far away, that Rose could only ever imagine it. That was one of her many reasons for enjoying her time beneath them, admiring their beauty. Most of the time, she went alone, due to her lack of single friends. However, Rose didn't have a reason to be alone anymore.

     Close to midnight, there had been a knock upon Rose's door, as she had expected, and she found the leader of the Jets stood with a lazy grin. His hair was flat to his forehead, and his icy blue eyes looked upon her as if she were the most magnificent of jewels. Riff had outstretched his hand, and that was all it took for Rose to join him.

     She didn't need gifts, or fancy clothes. She didn't need riches, only a promise. The promise to be there when she needed him, and when he needed her, she would be there too.

    Underneath the star spotted sky, Rose felt at peace, but with Riff's hand in hers, she felt happy. Happiness was a rare feeling in their day and age, but Riff seemed to make it go away.

     Where he had bloody gashes only a few days before, Riff was laced with scabbing patches over his skin. It didn't take away his rugged beauty. In fact, it only increased.

    Riff had always been a stunning person. Whether some people said he was a street rat, or not, there was something about him so intriguing that couldn't be ignored. Every girl in Manhattan would agree. It might've been out of fear, but they would certainly all agree.

     "So... uh... you know all of the star patterns?"

  Rose grinned, leaning into the man's side, offerings a him an alternative answer. "Constellations." Her voice was like music as she let a laugh travel through her chest, shaking her head. "And, no."

  "No?"

  "I just know a few."

  "It sounds like you know a bit more than a few, lil' darlin'." Riff smirked, turning his head as they sat on the park bench away from the skies, and to the girl. The girl he was admiring.

     Rose shifted closer to the mousy haired man, liking the feeling of his hands around her waist. There was something calming about it. Maybe that was just Riff. Maybe it was just Riff that Rose loved to be close to. She knew that she never wanted him away, and staying close to him was all she seemed to want now, anyway.

     Riff couldn't go. Not ever.

     "I like being close to you." Rose mumbled into his white vest, looking up from his chest with wide eyes.

  "That's awful nice of you, lil' Darlin." Riff chuckled, watching as she snuggled closer to him. It was endearing for the man. He'd never been this way with anyone before. He'd never had a reason to be that way with anyone before, and he'd never expected it either. "What's made you say that, then?"

     She didn't want to say anything, not at first. So, instead, she did what came to mind. The most predominant thing, was exciting and intriguing. Of course, she chose it.

     Rose put her hands softly on the side of Riff's face. He smirked at her touch, but it wasn't an arrogant smirk. It was one filled with glee. She pulled him down, leaning up, and their lips met with a gracious passion. Rose loved the feeling. The beauty.

    Rose loved Riff, and she knew it. She loved everything about him, faults and secrets and all.

•  -  -  •
696
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own West Side Story or the characters originally from the book, play, or musical. I do not own Riff, or any events from the 2021 film that this book is based off. However, I do own Rose, her friends, family, and her relationship with Riff prior to the film.
All of this is purely fictional, anything that relates to real life is purely coincidence.