Chapter 12

𝟷𝟽. 𝙰𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

It had been over a month since the day that Tony Wyzek, leader of the Jets, had been arrested. Unfortunately, I had also been over a month since Riff had been in contact with Rose in any way.

     There were no letters, no word of mouth. There was no visits, nothing to say that he missed her.

     At first, she was sad. A large part of Rose wanted Riff around almost all of the time, but then time passed. A month was a long time, and with every day that went by, Rose began to let him go.

     By the time the month had passed, the Everly girl realised how glad she was of her cautiousness. If she'd kissed Riff, like he'd wanted them to do, she was sure she'd never have been able to get over him.

    Getting over his tall figure... his broad shoulders. Getting over his baby blue eyes, his boney features, and the little freckles that were only noticeable from up close. The small scar across his left cheek.

     But Rose was over it.

     Him.

     Rose was over him.

     Over that passing month, Rose's brothers had stayed in her apartment. It was her brother, Joe's, birthday. They always spent their birthdays together; it was a sort of unofficial tradition. But they'd left two days prior to the present.

     When Rose went to the Post Office for work that day, she had a little twinge of pain inside of her chest. She wanted Riff to be there, not very much of her did. The Everly girl realised quickly that the wouldn't be there. No matter the prominence of gang activity on the west side of Manhattan, Riff had been almost MIA.

     Susan was on form that day, and everything she said was both unconvincing and truthful.

  "You know, Barbara, Barbara Letchworth. I went to school with her, I think you've met her, anyway- she's been with Davy Mossop. You know Davy, tall, from Vermont. But apparently, he's been seeing Mary Evettes."

  "Poor Barbara." Rose sighed, sorting some of the letters that had been handed in only four or five minutes before. Though the girl really did feel bad for Barbara: as far as she could remember, the woman was lovely. She didn't deserve it. However, Rose thought it was none of her business. Things like this were only ever meant for the two people in question.

  "More than poor Barbara! I can't believe Davy, if it's true. I mean, of course Mary Evettes isn't the most reliable of people-"

     Susan continued this way for the rest of the day. Thankfully, for Rose, her workday finished at twelve-thirty, leaving the Everly girl alone. The peace was more then acceptable.

     Then, Allan Scarlet walked in. Allan Scarlet walked in, and he ruined it all.

     The day had been acceptable, but it went from mediocre to completely rubbish. Rose never liked him, not in that way, and anyway, Susan wanted her to marry the man. There was no way that Rose Everly would ever become Rose Scarlet. It was a stupid name.

     "Hey, Rose." Allan said, walking through the door, as his day of work had finished.

  "Hello." Rose greeted bluntly, trying to continue her job. She had things to do before she went home, and she wouldn't leave beforehand.

  "I was wondering-"

  "No, Allan."

  The boy looked up, raising an eyebrow. "You didn't even know what I was gonna say."

  "I don't want to go anywhere with you. I never want to go anywhere with you." Promised Rose as if her life depended on it. "I don't understand why you haven't gotten that yet."