Chapter 1

George's POV

'Wake up in the mornin feelin like P-Diddy 

Grab ma glasses I'm out the door I'm gonna hit the city...'

'Urg what the hell?' I grunt while reaching out to snooze the god damn alarm. I usually set it 15 minutes early so I can sleep a little more, but for some reason today I don't feel like dozing off again. In fact, I'm very much awake, with a sense of unease in my stomach no less. What's wrong with me?

'Good morning!' I jump ten feet in the air and land on my ass, startled by the obnoxiously loud chorus that has suddenly erupted by the door.

'Happy birthday Georgie.' My little sister giggles while my parents share an amused shake of the head.

'How many times have I told you not to call me that, Ginny?' I complain. For a 10-year-old she sure knows how to annoy the hell out of someone.

'If you'd been a girl that would've been your name.' Ginny pouts. 'And you'd have let us throw you a sweet sixteen party.'

As much as I want to whack her in the head for that, I'm frozen on the spot at the realization that it's indeed my 16th birthday. I'm officially an adult, which means I'm now legitimate to the title of Alpha of the pack. My pack. Yes I'm a werewolf, as are my family. My father's the Alpha of a pack of more than a hundred werewolves, the largest in the state. As his firstborn, I'll one day succeed. And it seems that day has come.

My father must have figured out why I'm suddenly quiet with anxiety; he sits down on my bed and places a hand on my shoulder.

'I'm proud of you son, and I believe in you. We all do.' He glances at my mother and sister, but I understand he's speaking for the whole pack. I smile at him gratefully.

'Thanks dad.'

He nods and pats me on the back before standing to leave.

'Get ready for school. Oh and wish Michael a happy birthday for us.' Ah that's right, it's his birthday too. Mike's my best friend; we'd even joke that we are practically twins, having been born on the same day. He's the future Beta to my Alpha, since he's the only one I'd trust with my life. Except, maybe, my mate...

I'm 16 today, which means I can finally find the person I'm destined to spend the rest of my days with. She's out there somewhere, probably even staring me in the eyes the whole time, but only now will I be able to feel our connection. I just hope she's around here somewhere and not in Canada, god forbid.

I arrive at school only to be met with the entire female population of the pack. There's no need to wonder why they're here blocking the driveway. Everyone has such intensity in her eyes that I breathe a sigh of relief when I don't feel a pull toward any of them. The spirits had better not match me with a vain power-seeking slut.

I politely excuse myself, then walk to - make a run for - my locker, where I find my best friend waiting for me.

The first sign of something wrong is when I realize how handsome Mike suddenly seems. I've seen him in diapers for fuck's sake, what can possibly surprise me about him? Yet it's like I'm only now seeing him for the first time. I notice things I've always taken for granted: the way his copper brown hair looks feathery soft in a messy morning state, the depth of his mesmerizingly green eyes, the well-defined features of his cheekbones, the kissable softness of his lips. The sexily careless posture of him leaning against my locker. He looks like a fucking GQ model.

The second sign is my heart skipping a beat when Mike looks up from the phone he's holding and greets me in his usual voice which for some reason rings like music to my ears.

'Hey man. Sorry I didn't wait for you, couldn't get past the mob of chicks waiting to get in your pants.'

Despite the weird lumping in my stomach I can't help but laugh at his comment. He has that effect on me.

Mike grins and raises his fist. I bump it without a thought.

'Fuck!' he screams and takes a step backward, almost tripping, but neither of us gives a damn. We're too shocked by the electricity that ran through our bodies from contact.

Please tell me I haven't just been mated with my best friend.