3.) Full-Time Job

"What the hell are you doing?!" Luke's entire friend group turned their head toward the voice that bellowed at them. Easton's arm dropped from Luke's side nervously.

"How the hell did you find me?" Luke yelled irrationally, taking a few steps toward Kane who seemed amused by Luke's response.

"You weren't exactly creative with your location choice." Kane chuckled, throwing his head back before staring Luke in the eyes. "I was a teenager once, too. The boardwalk was the first place I checked." Luke was enraged. Kane thought he knew everything about him, and he wasn't going to let that slide. What he failed to consider, is maybe he didn't know who Kane was either.

"I'm not going home yet." He protested, some of his friends gasping. Easton had retreated to the rest of the group. Everyone had backed down except for Luke. "You have no authority over me, or the right to act as if you have it!"

"I am an extension of your father, who does have authority over you, and I'm entitled to use it. Now get in the car." Kane growled, his voice getting lower as he got more and more annoyed.

"No! It's a Friday night!" Luke leered, looking like he was about to pounce. He knew better though. He could never take down a twenty-eight-year-old man who was a foot taller than him.

"It's not your choice to make." Kane grabbed his wrist, dragging him down the concrete pathway as Luke protested loudly.

"I'm an adult! You can't make me do anything!" He yelled the entire way before Kane placed him in the passenger seat of his Lamborgini. It hadn't dawned on Luke just how rich he was until he was sitting inside his two hundred thousand dollar sports car. 

"I just did." Kane groaned, walking around the front of the flashy red car and getting into the driver's seat. "No one told me you would be a full-time job." Luke suddenly went from loudly protesting to silent.

His father called him a full-time job all the time. Every time Luke complained that they never got time alone together, that was his excuse. He already ran a business, he didn't have time for another one.

After five minutes of driving, Kane couldn't take the silence. He built up the courage, hesitantly opening his mouth.

"What's on your mind?" Luke rolled his eyes and tapped the power button for Kane's radio. He'd rather be perceived as a spoiled teen than try to explain his problems. Everyone except Savannah couldn't care less about his problems.

They approached the house and Luke stormed inside without a word to Kane. The CEO held the bridge of his nose, sighing as he locked his car and moped slowly behind the aggravated teenager. He couldn't help but wish his time on vacation could be spent with a compliant teen rather than a spoiled one. 

Luke sat on his bed, hunching over his dangling feet as that phrase repeated in his head over and over again.

A full-time job.

Luke was a full-time job.

He drained people the same way a nine-to-five does.

Before he knew it, the sun was peaking through his window and nearly blinding him. He had sat there the entire night, letting his thoughts replay until he forgot he was even thinking.

Luckily for him, it was the weekend, so he could still get some rest. He changed into a cotton shirt and flannel pants and trudged downstairs. Maybe if he ate himself into a coma, it would keep his thoughts quiet enough to sleep. 

Luke trudged down the stairs as his phone pinged from notifications of his friends chatting about what he missed. He ignored them, figuring that was the last thing he needed to hear. As he tuned out his phone, the smell of pancakes and eggs faded into his senses as he turned the corner into the kitchen.

There Kane was, staring at the pancakes he was transferring onto one of the porcelain plates from his father's vast collection of silverware they always ditch for the plastic kind.

"Hungry?" Kane's morning voice chirped. Luke studied him as his brows furrowed and his tongue flicked across his bottom lip in complete and udder focus.

"Very..." Luke groaned. As the large man turned around to hand him his plate, his face went from proud of his cooking skills, to concerned.

"Did you sleep okay last night?" Kane said, setting Luke's plate on his table. "Or, you know... at all?" Luke just groaned in response, grabbing his plate and beginning to inhale all of its contents. "Is something wrong?"

"I'd rather not talk about it," Luke says in between bites. Kane nods understandingly and grabs a plate of his own. Luke's phone continues to buzz, getting louder and louder but the minute. He finally takes the last bite when his ringtone goes off.

"Arghh!" He growls angrily, grabbing his phone and hitting answer. "Sav, I love you but I don't wanna hear about-"

"Easton drank too much and we can't get him to cooperate."

--------------------

Word Count: 820

Next Publish Date: 10/1/22