Chapter 21

"Rooster!" I called out his name as we all gathered for the graduation ceremony.

"Sunshine, you came back" he smiled turning to face me.

"I'm so sorry for what I said yesterday, I wasn't myself and I wasn't thinking" I apologized quickly, understanding if he never wanted to fly with me again.

"I'm just glad you've finally come to your senses" he threw and arm over my shoulder and walked me to our seats.

"Aviators, here at Top Gun, we challenged you to fly against the very best. Now, we ask you to take that expertise... and keep the tradition alive. Good Iuck." An admiral gave his simple speech to us all.

"I would like to announce the top pilots of this class of Top Gun graduates as Rooster and Sunshine" Warlock stood on the small stage with the plaque that now had our names printed on it. Everyone clapped out with pride as Rooster gestured for me to walk up first.

We were dismissed to celebrate, everyone gathering together happily as drinks were served through the crowd.

"We did it!" I cheered to Rooster as he pulled me in for a hug and I laughed proudly.

"Did you ever doubt it?" He asked back with a proud smile.

"A little bit" I admitted.

"Congrats you two, you've earned it" Phoenix joined us with a smile.

"Nicole, I need to talk to you" Daniel grabbed my arm to pull me away from them.

"What?" I asked in shock at seeing him here. I harshly pulled my arm out of his grasp sending him a warning glare which he didn't seem to notice. Rooster stood protectively beside me, ready to step in if needed and Phoenix eyed Daniel closely.

"Nicole Danvers" he started, getting onto one knee in front of me as my eyebrows pulled together.

"Fuck" I muttered under my breath.

"I know life has been hard after Marys death and that you have tried to run away from your problems but I will take care of you now" he promised as the harsh reminder of my mother hit me in the gut like doing Gs in a jet. "Marry me" the way he said it was more of a demand than a question making my mind fall into a spiral of trying to figure out what to do.

Roosters fist tightened at his side and Phoenix glanced between us, waiting for my answer. My eyes went wide as I stared at him in shock, not knowing what to say or do as my mind drew a blank.

"Y-yes" I nodded along, trying to reassure myself of my answer. Phoenix looked over to Rooster in shock at my answer, finding Rooster standing tensely with clear anger but the hurt in his eyes was deep and painful.

"Aviators. I hate to break up the party before it really gets out of hand, but there is work to be done. Some of you have to depart immediately. We have a crisis situation." Warlock started out to the group of us as I was still trying to figure out what just happened, Daniel forcing the ring onto my finger.

"Hangman, Coyote" Cyclone listed.

"Yo." Hangman nodded in understanding.

"Phoenix and you RIO" He said next, handing them each an envelope.

"Yes, sir." She nodded.

"Rooster, Sunshine" They looked to us next.

"Sir." We each took the envelope with the mission details.

"You aren't going" Daniel stated after Warlock and Cyclone had walked away.

"I am going. It's my job" I told him. "That team, needs me and I will be there for them"