Chapter 07

"When we get back to the base you are to report to your barracks to get cleaned up before dinner" the leading officer began in the middle of the afternoon as we had packed up the site and were preparing for the hike back to base. "Tomorrow you will be given the day off, go out, enjoy the town and report back to base before curfew" he added and everyone cheered out at the idea of a day off.

"You got any plans tomorrow?" Trace asked me with a happy smile.

"Nope, I'll just take the day as it comes" I smiled back, happy to sit back and relax.

"Sounds like a good plan" she agreed with a relaxed ease.

"Hey Bradshaw!" I called him over to us with a wave of my hand. "Try not to trip and hurt yourself on the way back" I teased slightly and he gave me a mock salut.

"Yes, ma'am"

~~~

Sunday morning I woke up at the normal early time, getting dressed in shorts and a tank top and tying up my running shoes. I was out on the track field doing my morning run alone, Trace and Bradshaw sleeping in on our day off. The wind was in my hair as my legs burned from the sensation of running free, remembering why I chose to come here in the first place.

I took a drink from my water bottle as the sun began to shine down on me and I decided it was time to head back to the barracks. I had been coming close to the door to the building when someone ran up behind me and wrapped their arms around me, spinning me around with a laugh as I squealed.

"What the fuck? Put me down!" I shouted and was dropped back to my feet. I spun around harshly only to find Bradshaw holding his chest and laughing. "Not funny" I pushed his shoulder back as he tried to quiet his laughter.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" he held his hands up in defence. "I was wondering if you and Trace wanted to go out for the day, check out the town" he offered politely.

"Yeah, that's sounds like fun" I smiled back and a large smile grew on his face.

"Yeah? Great"

"I just gotta get a quick shower then we will meet you in the parking lot" I waved, going to grab the door to the barracks when Bradshaw had grabbed it and opened it for me.

"See you then" he waved and I just shook my head at him with a smile.

"Get up" I told Trace, nudging her foot that had fallen off of the bed as I passed her to go towards the bathroom.

"Why? It's our day off" she grumbled back into her pillow.

"Bradshaw is taking us out to see the town"

"Did he say us as in you, me and him or us as in you and him?" She sat up with her questions.

"All of us" I replied, grabbing my things and heading into the bathroom.

After I had cleaned up we walked out to the parking lot together where we looked around in search of Bradshaw.

"Oh my god" Trace spoke from beside me, jaw lowered in amusing shock.

"What?" I followed her eyeline to see a man waving at us. Though this man was not the normal Bradshaw we had seen in uniform everyday. He was wearing a white tank top under a brightly coloured Hawaiian shirt paired with jean shorts and his aviator sunglasses. "No way" I shook my head as he waved at us. Trace and I laughed together as we went over. Bradshaw walked to the passenger side of his car, opening the front door and the backseat door.

"Ladies" he presented us into his bronco. Trace climbed into the back, prompting me to take the passenger seat. "You guys up for some lunch before we hit the town?" He looked over at us both from the drivers seat.