Chapter 6 - The Flea and The Acrobat

Kitty's heart was pounding inside of her chest as she pulled Will behind her, and unknowingly missed a step at the bottom of the stairs out the back of the Byer's house causing her to fall faster than she'd anticipated, the only logic she had time to process letting go of Will's hand so she wouldn't bring him down with her.

"Kitty!" Will shouted.

She shook her head and pushed herself back to her feet quickly and spat out dirt, leaves, and goo. With a glance back at Will she continued forward.

"Alright Kid, you know this area of the woods better than I do, where should we hide?" Kitty called back to Will as she ran forward.

There was no answer.

"Will?" She glanced back over her shoulder but Will wasn't there anymore. "Will!"

"Kitty!" He screamed back, somewhere behind her. "Kitty, Help!"

Turning on her heel she sprinted back in the direction she came, winding back through the woods, the house came back into view, along with Will, on the ground being wrapped up in vines and pulled slowly back to the house. The carnivorous flowerpod stalked slowly down the steps.

"Shit!" Kitty cursed under her breath. "Will!"

Glancing around for something, anything, that might help Kitty's eyes landed on the tool shed Will had come through. She rushed forward, slammed open the door, and picked up the first object sharp enough.

Back outside she threw herself to the ground next to Will and got to work using the sickle to cut through the vines. The vines weren't that hard to cut through but whenever she did the creature seemed to respond growling louder and louder.

Finally, the last vine was cut and Kitty didn't even give Will a chance to catch his breath before she yanked him up and started off again, sprinting through the woods weaving around the trees in an attempt to make them harder to follow, and this time she didn't make the mistake of letting go of Will's hand, holding onto it tightly with her left and still gripping the sickle in her right.

The sound of the growling creature gave way to silence and even after all that could be heard was their own ragged breaths and the twigs crunching under their feet they kept running until they physically couldn't anymore.

They slowed to a stop and Kitty turned and looked Will up and down.

"Oh my god. Will, are you okay?"

Will shook his head no. Kitty opened her arms and he stumbled into them and she hugged him tightly making sure not to nick him with the blade of the sickle.

"I'm so sorry Will, I should've realized you weren't behind me sooner."

Will shook his head again. "I- I don't even know what happened. One moment I'm following you into the woods, t-the next there's something around my ankle and I'm- I'm on the ground."

Kitty squeezed tighter and placed her chin on his head nodding slowly. They just stood there for a minute and Kitty started to rock them gently.

"Thank you for coming back," Will mumbled into her shirt so quietly she wasn't even sure she'd really heard it.

"Why wouldn't I come back?"

Taking a step back she looked him up and down once again just to make sure he wasn't scraped up or bleeding or anything.

Will cast his eyes down to his feet and ignored the question.

Kitty clicked her tongue silently and pulled him into another hug. "I'll always come back, Will. I'm not just going to leave you here. Understand?" 

Will hugged her back and nodded squeezing handfuls of her jacket in his hands. 

"W-what now?"

"Now, we take your mom's advice. We need to find somewhere to hide."

Will turned in a circle and looked around at the woods around them. "I don't think we're far from Castle Byers."

"Castle Byers?" Kitty asked, cracking a small smile.

"Yeah."

"Lead the way."