Chapter 22: Adrian's Promise to Isabella

ADRIAN

I knew at one point, Manya was going to wake up and she would have certain questions about what I did to her and what it meant for us that would be if she knew at all about what kind of creatures we were. Which I had a little doubt she had any idea about. But I couldn't face her right now. Not when I had screwed up my life for good. I had to make things right. And it required time.

First, I had to talk to Bella. She was the one who had to go through the pain of rejection once again because I lost control of my beast. She told me before, for so many times, that I needed to control my beast; that I had to put a leash on him. But I never listened to her. I gave the freedom to my beast to do whatever he wanted. And that brought me to this very embarrassing moment.

I couldn't help but feel like she was right. I had to put a leash on my beast. But the deed was already done. And now, I couldn't do anything about it.

I knew that Isabella would be devastated. But when I opened the door to the chamber where she resided for the past five days in the non-magical realm, I truly came to know about what she really went through. The whole chamber was upside down. The furniture was ruined to the extent that it could not be salvaged. The curtains over the floor to ceiling windows were shredded and destroyed completely. There wasn't a single thing that was intact in her chamber.

And then came into view the most heart-breaking scene of my entire life. Isabella herself. Sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. Head rested between her knees surrounded by her arms. Her hair covered her face completely. I didn't know how was I going to console the woman whose dreams I shattered entirely. She trusted me and I broke her to the extent that she might never revive from this. I had cursed my brother for what he did to Isabella, but after yesterday, I didn't have any right to curse him anymore. Because I humiliated her in front of our people. At least my brother had the decency to do it in private. I broke that bar as well.

I went straight to her.

"Bella! I..."

I couldn't find words for what to say to her that could comfort her; console her. I knew I messed up big time.

She lifted her face and looked straight into my eyes. She had cried this whole time. Her red and swollen eyes and paled face spoke in the volumes about her heart break.

"How could you do this to me, Addy?"

There, I could see her distrust towards me. And I couldn't blame her for that.

"I don't know what came over me, I swear Bella!"

She looked at me as if mocking me. And I couldn't look at her in the eyes anymore.

"Do you really wish me to believe anything that comes out of your mouth, Addy? Do you really think that any explanation that you have matters anymore?"

There was so much pain in those words, I couldn't bear it.

"All I can say is I am really sorry for everything, Bella."

"And what am I going to do with your sorry, Addy? You humiliated me in front of everyone. And did you really think that your sorry is going to make everything alright? Really?"

Her every word was like a knife, but truth.

"I know I messed up big time, Bella. But you need to understand. I have nothing to do with it. My beast was the one to mark the human. I still belong to you."

"And what exactly does that mean, Addy? Your beast has marked her. MARKED HER, ADDY! Which means even if you feel you belong to me, it doesn't matter anymore. You will never be able to mark me, Addy. And that means that we don't have any future together anymore."

"I know. But we can at least try to make this thing work between us. She is a human. And you and I both know that she is not going to survive the transformation. Once she will be out of the picture, we can be together forever."

"But you still won't be able to mark me. I still won't be able to be the Queen. And I still won't be able to rule by your side, Addy. You know the rules. Even if she dies during the process, we can never truly be together anymore."

"We will find a way to break the bond. Together. I promise, I am going to make everything as it was before. You will be my Queen; and you will rule by my side."

"But how, Addy? There is no way to break the bond. And you know it. And besides, we don't even have enough time to ask around or search. She will die soon. And with her death, every chance for us to be truly together will be destroyed."

"Then we will save her to buy some time for us. Everything is going to be just fine, Bella. Trust me. I will never leave you. I am not my brother. And I will prove my loyalty to you. I promise."

I cupped her cheeks and promised her. I could see a sliver of hope in her eyes, and she sighed.

"I don't know how are we going to come out of this, Addy. But I trust you. We will do this together. I love you, Addy."

She put her head on my chest and I started stroking her hair to comfort her as I used to. But I couldn't say those words back.

And I wondered why.