Chapter 5

The trio looked at the camp in awe. The octolings had taken the fallen remains of the town and built a fort around the center of the settlement. The octoling that they followed gestured them inside, and Three nearly fainted. It was amazing how well the octarians were striving. It astonished her. An octo-trooper ran up to the octoling and squeaked something in octarian. The octoling replied and the octo-trooper shook its head. Then they got into a very interesting argument about...who knows what. The captain shook her head in disapproval and looked around. On the left of the base, it seemed to be the area for living and just being whatever you wanna be, and on the right, trade stores popped up all around. The octarians appeared to be gathered around the town center as if some kind of event was happening. Something howled and everyone started screaming and backing away. Even the two octarians that were arguing stopped to look. 

"What was that?", Four exclaimed, getting on her tiptoes to see. Three shrugged. Suddenly, the crowd backed away enough to where the trio could see what was happening. The captain's eyes went wide. A four-legged creature growled at anyone who came close to it, and it was snow white, with stunning blue eyes. The strangest thing about it? It was covered in fluffy fur and had these ears and an odd snout. It even had a fluffy tail!

"What is that?", the captain said to herself, stepping closer. 

"I don't know, and I don't want to know! It looks terrifying!", Four yelped, hiding behind Three when it bared its teeth. 

"Don't go near it! It's dangerous! Oh CARP. It must've escaped again!", said the octoling grabbing the captain's arm. 

"What is it?", she asked, turning to the octo.

"Nobody knows, all we do know is that-that THING can snap you in two! To make matters worse, it's immune to our weapons!", she replied, stuttering. Captain Three was taken aback by this statement. 

"How did you know it was immune?", She asked, turning back to the creature. 

"We found a splotch of pink ink on its fur, and it didn't harm it at all! We even tried taking it down with our ink, but no luck.", The octoling said letting go, fiddling with her fingers. A sudden realization came over the captain. Pink ink? 

"What shade of pink was it? The ink on the creature, I mean.", she asked.

"A bright shade of hot pink, why?", the octoling said, tilting her head. Captain Three's heart skipped a beat. Eight's ink was hot pink, was it a coincidence? She turned to Three and Four.

"Guys, I think I know how to find Eight, but this is gonna sound crazy.", she said, putting her hands on her hips.

"What is it?", Three asked, Four still hiding behind her.

"The fluffy creature, when it came here, it had a splotch of ink on it. Bright pink. Eight's pink. We're gonna have to have that thing lead us to her. I'm sure of it.", she explained. Four blinked.

"Lead us to Eight? That thing? Okay, Captain's gone crazy, let's go home!", she exclaimed, grabbing Three's hand and taking a step away from the crowd. Three pulled her back. 

"I don't think the captain can even go crazy. I trust her. So, how do we do this?", Three said, crossing her arms. The captain shrugged. An octoling came out of nowhere and placed a hand on her shoulder. She cackled.

"Sorry Agents, but we don't take kindly to your kind.", she said. The captain's eyes went wide before everything went dark.

Captain Three woke up in a small room and rubbed her head. She looked around the place and nearly choked. She was locked up in a prison cell. Great. Just what she needed. Four was still asleep, for she could hear her snoring from where she was. She could also assume that Three was in a cell nearby as well. In front of her, the captain saw the creature from earlier walking in circles in its cell. When it felt the presence of the captain watching it, it turned to growl at her. Only now did she realize that the creature also had sharp talons. Talon marks were clear as day on the walls. She would've liked to observe the creature more, but an octoling blocked the view. Captain Three looked up to the traitorous octoling smile menacingly at her. 

"You.", she said, baring her teeth at the octarian. The octoling laughed.

"Wow, you thought that WE needed help? Guess my acting skills were really on point, huh? We're octarians, we can survive in any condition. Only a fool would go running up begging an Inkling for help.", she cackled. 

"Oh please help us! Octarians have been kidnapped for who knows what and we need your help!", she mimicked. The captain scowled at her. 

"We know you have a soft spot for octolings. We know who you are. And we know everything about you. The first agent to take down Octavio, the agent who helped a useless octoling from being blended, the agent who got promoted to Captain.", she paused to get closer to the rails, and whispered, "The agent who fell in love with a certain octoling agent who goes by Eight. Isn't that just curious?" The captain turned bright orange. In love?! With Eight?! Whaaaaaaaaaa? Nooooooo...right? Suddenly she was delighted the octoling was having the conversation in octarian. Four would've been busting out laughing, poking fun at her. The octarian frowned and stuck her tongue out.

"And in love with a girl too? Gee, what kind of world are you living in? ", she said, twirling one of her weapons. She walked away laughing. The captain was still hung on those words, 

"In love with a certain octoling agent..." She couldn't help to think, was she in love? Was it... okay? She blushed a bright orange and frowned. She couldn't be in love with her best friend, that's not how it works! Was it? And she's a girl, and Eight's a girl and two girls? I mean, Pearl and Marina were together, but that was different. There's also the fact that she's an inkling and Eight's an octoling. That couldn't work. But then again, there's Pearl and Marina. But, but, but!...she couldn't think of any excuses. She sighed and buried her face in her hands. This was ridiculous. Her heart raced and her face burned. Why? Why why why why WHY? She groaned some frustrated gay sounds into her hands and sighed. She crossed her legs and laid her head back onto the wall of the room. Right now was not the time to be a walking gay disaster, right now was the time to get out of here. But it kept clouding her thoughts. So much so, that she didn't realize the blue, sticky goo forming on her fingers.