"I'll get my own order. I won't even touch yours." Talon put his hands up in defense. Vanessa nodded, smiling widely at the thought of the whole plate of pickles to herself.

"Good to hear. What's your favorite food?" She asked as she fiddled with the utensils on the tabletop.

"Oh, that's the hardest question to answer. How can one possibly pick just one thing as their favorite?" Talon questioned. He licked his lips at the thought of all the delicious foods he's tried over the years.

"It's easy. What do you wake up excited for in the morning, and when you have it for dinner, or whatever meal it belongs to, you just can't wait? It doesn't matter how full you are, or how strict your diet is, you are going to have some. For me, that's fried pickles." Vanessa nodded once again.

"Gross, you would eat fried pickles for breakfast?" Talon asked.

"Yep, would and have." Both of them burst into laughter at the conversation. They were really getting along and enjoying each other's company. After a few moments, the waitress was there to take their order, and the ticket was delivered to the kitchen so Vanessa and Talon could each get their own order of fried pickles and wings.

Once the food was at the table, Vanessa felt like she was in a different place. The chicken was so good, it nearly fell off the bone, leaving her with a heaping mess of empty plates in front of the two of them. But she felt awkward, and weird, because once the food came out she hadn't heard a word Talon had said.

She didn't want to be distant, but something on the TV was pulling her in and she couldn't look away. A fire burning through the trees on the west coast of the states. Wasn't forest fire season over this year?

Vanessa watched in shock as the surrounding people were too preoccupied eating their food. It didn't affect them as much on the East coast, so they couldn't seem to be bothered. Vanessa felt the fear, though, surging through her body as if it was her very own home that was on fire.

"Are you okay?" Talon asked, nervously fidgeting in his seat. Vanessa's gaze shot over to him as she shook her head.

"What do you mean? Why wouldn't I be?" she questioned, almost feeling attacked by him asking. She hadn't been paying much attention to him. Checking her watch, she realized they'd been there in silence for almost half an hour. Why didn't he try to get her attention sooner?

"I've been trying to talk to you for a while now, and it seems like you are on a whole other planet. Did I say something to upset you?" Talon muttered. He nervously looked around the sports bar.

This left Vanessa even more confused.

What did he mean he was trying to talk to her? She hadn't heard a peep out of him since they delivered the wings to the table.

"Sorry, I guess I must be distracted."

"Want to talk about it?"

"No." Vanessa was short with her answer. She didn't even know what to talk about. All she had been doing was watching the TV that no one else seemed to notice.

"We can talk about something else, then?" Talon suggested.

"Yeah, what did you think about the food?" Vanessa leaned forward, noticing that Talon had eaten everything on his tray as well. She licked her lips, trying to get any last remnants of sauce off her face.

"They were delicious! You were so right about this place. We will have to come back here again!" Talon nearly shouted, pausing for a moment, and then began speaking again. "Sorry, I guess I shouldn't assume you'd want to go out with me again. It's okay if you don't want to."