Important A/N

In this alternative universe, humans present as either Alpha, Beta, or Omega after turning 18. The majority presents a few weeks after turning 18, but in a few rare instances, some may present on the day of their 18th birthday.

~*~*~*~

Definition of Terms:

ALPHAS

- they are usually the dominant ones in the relationship and appear to be somewhat intimidating. They have what is known as an "Alpha Voice," which is essentially an extremely demanding tone that Omegas, and occasionally Betas, feel compelled to obey.

Knot

- is a bulb-like organ in an Alpha's member that swells before an orgasm and keeps them lodged inside their mate during sex — usually to boost their Omega's chances of becoming pregnant.

Rut

- is a biological phenomenon that Alphas experience, and they will grow easily agitated and highly horny during a rut because their bodies urge them to knot and breed. It lasts for about a week, or shorter if they share it with an Omega, and it occurs once every three months.

OMEGAS

- they are usually the submissive ones in the relationship. They have the ability to influence people with their pheromones (e.g. to calm their pup or to arouse their mate).

Drop

- a phenomenon that happens when omegas are anxious or extremely upset — their minds get muddled and they lose their ability to think for themselves. It might be fatal if omegas are left alone in a "drop" and they would need their mates or others they care about and trust to "bring them back" or "wake them up" from the drop.

Heat

- is a biological phenomenon that Omegas experience. During a heat, an Omega will self-lubricate — often referred to as "slick" — in order to prepare to receive an Alpha's knot. Because their bodies demand that they breed, Omegas are most fertile during heats and crave an Alpha's knot. It lasts for about a week, or shorter if they share it with an Alpha, and it occurs once every three months.

Nesting

- it is a process in which an Omega needs warmth and comfort, therefore they will gather blankets, pillows, clothing, and anything soft in general — especially anything with their Alpha's scent on it — and make a nest to cuddle up in.

BETAS

- they are neither dominant nor submissive yet they take up most of the population. They lack scents and scent glands, and their sense of smell is inferior to that of Alphas and Omegas (e.g. they have no way of knowing when an Omega is about to go into heat). Despite this, they are quite adept at detecting these things through social cues (e.g. beta friends may keep track of their omega friend's heats so that they are aware of them ahead of time, or they may be skilled at reading people). Lastly, they don't have ruts or heats, but they can bond and prefer to mate with other Betas.

OTHER TERMS:

Bonding

- it is accomplished by biting into person's scent gland hard enough for scarring to occur. It binds two people mentally, physically, and emotionally. This is usually done by couples on their wedding night.

Scenting

- is the act of spreading one's scent onto objects or people as a form of comfort or possession.